• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wind indicator?????? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2211195693&category=35734&rd=1
Does this seth have a wind indicator? Eek

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Seth-Thomas Alarm Clock

Eric,

I see the reason for your confusion. As "Watch Collectors" we are familiar with having the seconds-bit at the "6" area and the wind-indicator or power reserve indicator at the "12" area. What you are seeing on the auction clock is very similar in appearance. However on the Seth-Thomas you found the seconds-bit is at the "12" area and what you are seeing at the "6" is an indicator alright, but not for the power reserve.

Look very closely and you'll see it numbered "1 through 12" and that is the indicator as to the alarm setting. On older alarm clocks, even clock radios in the days of analog dials that is the way they were made. When you set the alarm for say "7:00" and then turned it on just before retiring the alarm would sound at the next time it reached 7:00 which would be the following morning. If you turned it off then, and turned it on the next night it would continue awakening you each day at the preset time. If you forgot to turn it off, it would then sound at 7:00 PM as well.

Many of the early alarm clocks were considered "Kitchen Clocks" from the days when the kitchen was the center of all activity in the home. The one in the auction looks to me as if it were made for a rather formal bedroom or perhaps a parlor setting. Back then life was very different than today. Nowadays the alarm will be digital and perhaps with settings for more than one user.

The clock you are looking at looks good to me, very original to my eye. Seth-Thomas made good clocks, in fact they were among the best of American Clock Makers.

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanx lindell, a fountain of information as usual i was wondering why they would only put a 12 hour spring in it! Roll Eyes

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
That's a Seth alarm clock called the Long Alarm model. They came in bright brass, antique brass, and antique nickel. These clocks are bad aboput getting cracks along the housing sides. Later Seth made an alarm that was 8 day, and the alarm dial was numbered for AM and PM.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003