Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

hamilton model 21 chronometer quiz "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
hi all,
notice anything different about this model 21 chronometer?
fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
dial side

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Whoa!

Looks like the "bare bones" model to me.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Jim like 'bare bones' model... Razz...no idea other than the variable balance screws...thanks for showing it...Jim want to see more... Smile

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Life Member

posted
want a hint??
in the picture of the movement look real close at the center shaft.

posted
Roller bearings?? This is cool!!

IHC Life Member

posted
close phil,
this is actually test unit # 4 from my dads military collection. the hamilton labs tried this unit with ball bearings instead of bushing or jewels on the shafts. even the winding gear shaft has a pretty hefty ball bearing. this is the only hamilton model 21 ball bearing version known to exist. additional pictures are enclosed.
enjoy.
fred

IHC Life Member

posted
close up of the dial ( which was originally cut out at the factory for display purposes )

IHC Life Member

posted
movement close up showing some of the bearings

posted
Fred,
Thanks for the interesting story on this watch. Now that we all know, it is even more cool!!! Cool Cool

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Fred,
That is really a unique piece of engineering!, what was the goal of having the rollers?, were they aimed for use under special environment conditions?, it is intriguing me!

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
IHC Life Member

posted
best guess would be that hamilton was looking for better accuracy and lower maintenance, especially maintenance, since the chronometers had to be dis-assembled, cleaned and timed at regular intervals.
fred

posted
Now,How much of this chronometer?

Posts: 53 | Location: Chong Qing in China | Registered: August 27, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
what a treasure, to even get to see such a thing,the Holy Grail of American chronometers for sure and it shows Hamilton for the innovators and practical inventors and builders that they were ,and the whole world knows that their accomplishments in wartime in World War 2 were nothing short of amazing!!!!! Eek Big Grin I likely couldn't afford it if it was for sale,but I can dream !!! Smile I just acquired my first Hamilton Model 21 this week , a US Maritime Commission marked item serial # 2E10600 shown in picture below ,to go with my three model 22 Hamilton deck watches. I am a big fan of this iconic American horological enterprise. And now I'm off to the hospital for dialysis Roll Eyes

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009