• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Acme Watchmans Time Detector Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I posted this message to the "Green" Board and hate to duplicate, but thought it might be of some interest for those that do not "bounce" back and forth from this Board to the Green Board.

This is a Acme Watchmans Time Detector. It has two separate clock movements, the upper movement is a time only 15 day 80 beat Seth Thomas.

The lower movement is a balance wheel type movement (running duration unknown). It appears the lower movement is responsible for rotating a paper (time) disc that allows the various station relays to record the time when a Watchman activates a key switch at the various stations throughout a building or factory.

The Watchman's clock has 20 station relays. Each relay, when activated, appears to push a needle forward and thru the time graphed paper disc. The case is quarter sawn oak with some carving and dental molding.

Any addition information about the maker and operating of the clock would be appreciated.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very neat clock Derek. Thanks for posting. I have seen, and have, a few of the round watchman's clocks that the watchman carries around to each station. I also have a few of the station keys. Each key imprints a number of the station on the paper in the clock, and the time that the key was inserted. Many of these are made by Detex, but there are others also. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. I have never seen one like yours. Great clock!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom, here is an image of the "guts."

Derek

posted
And now a little closer image of the relays, and lower balance wheel movement.

posted
Over on the Green Board, Bill Kapp was kind enough to state that it was "manufactured by Holtzer-Cabot." He has some terrific information about this type of clock and others on his website.

Derek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
VERY INTERESTING CLOCK!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is interesting. If I am thinking right about this clock, then this clock was connected by wires to stations around the building. There must be some device that the watchman inserted a key to trip the master clock to mark the paper.

The clocks I have are a portable version of that clock. The watchman carries the clock and at each station inserts the key that is numbered. That marks the paper so time and location are known.

I wonder what the stations looked like for this earlier version. Perhaps just a switch or button to press that would send the signal to the master clock. Anybody have one of the station pieces?

Tom

posted
WOW! What a great clock. That's what is so grrrreat about the MB. Where else would you have such an opportunity to see and hear such amazing things than on the MB. By the way, when I first saw the insides of the clock I thought that Scottie-TX finally decided to show a picture of himself! Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Tom, I have seen a few of the Detex time recorders but have never seen the "works" of one. Curious if someone has one that can post an image?

I believe you are correct in thinking that the watchmans station had some type of key or secured trip of some sort. I too would like to see a picture or a description on how they worked.

Derek

posted
I went perusing and found this on Bill Kapp's website. It is link to an image of what I believe is the Watchman's station in the factory. Thanks to Bill Kapp and Rick Thomes for the information.

Magneto Station

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
HERE is a link to a previous discussion on the later watchman's clock.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom for posting that link. I have seen those recorders at regional marts, but was unsure the operation. Even an old workhorse type clock can be a thing of beauty.

Derek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have a couple of them with no key. Roll Eyes Any info on sources for keys would be appreciated! Big Grin

Tom

posted
This Acme is really a Holtzer in disguise!

I have just updated my chap 52 website with 9 pages from a 5oth anniversary publication put out by Holtzer in 1925 and 13 pages from a 1905 sales catalog.

http://community.nawcc.org/NAW...toClock/Default.aspx

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004