Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clock expert needed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Can any of you clock experts identify this movement and define the quality of it. I see a lot of these movements in clocks but the seller never says what they are.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Looks like an ordinary, later model, American-style time and countwheel strike movement. Not a high=precision, highly accurate movement compared to many European ones. Movement is generally pretty robust, with a relatively large amount of slop in the pinions. Quality is relative: these movements will not compare in accuracy to most French and German movements, but will run longer without servicing and are more tolerant of abuse. Each movement should be evaluated individually as to condition relative to age, but hard to do when you can't see the movement personally. You can generally be assured of the quality of the movement originally if it was made by one of the well known makers.

A lot depends on what type of service you're looking for: precision performance or tolerance of less than perfect operating conditiond.
Arthur

Posts: 3 | Location: Louisiana in the USA | Registered: August 17, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Art,

Thank you for your reply. Which movement manufactures might offer the best of both worlds?

Steve

posted
I'm sure many have their favorites, but I have no problem with any of the American manufacturers, such as Sessions, Kroeber, Seth Thomas, Ingraham, Ansonia, etc. Just beware of Asian made knockoffs which are usually poor.
Arthur

posted
Steve, after looking at your post again I realized that I didn't understand your question. I thought you were referring to American movements.

I don't know of any compromise movement that gives the "best of both worlds." You sort of have to decide what characteristics are most important to you personally and then go for that type.
Arthur

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Art,

Thankyou for your comments. I have a Ball Watch Co. with a Seth Thomas movement and an Ingraham Mantel Clock (both are posted in my name in here) and they seem to keep pretty good time. I am starting to like these old clocks and have been considering finding them some bedfellows. I was just kind of wondering what were the good movements and you listed two of the ones I have so now I know what to look for.

Thanks,

Steve