Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with a 3 weight German Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
I know a little about watches, but little to none about clocks.
A friend of mine has moved his 3 weight GERMAN made clock, and asked me to help him set it up. The three weights are different , two of them close in HEFT, with the third much heavier than the other two.
I have several pictures which I will attach here and in the following posts.
Facing the front of the clock, there are 4 chimes(?) on the left rear and 8 chimes on the right.
By way of evaluating the clock I want to set it up and see what might be required.
From a preliminary search, one of the two lighter weights goes in the middle, the other light weight goes on the left (4 chimes), with the heaviest going on the right (8 chimes).
The pendulum of course goes on the center crutch(?).
There is something that looks like a short thin metal strip, clamped at each end with two small plates.
Where is this clock made, how valuable is it, and how should I proceed.

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
Pi #2

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Well for starters it is made by Gustav Becker one of Germany's greatest clockmakers

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Pic #3

posted
Pic #4

posted
Pic #5

IHC Member 1725
posted
Hello Melvin,
First of all is there any letters like L for left, R for right or C for center on the weights? Sometimes on the very bottom of the weight is where you will find them. It does matter how the different weighted weights are placed in the clock. The right side (facing the clock) should be the heaviest, this would make the speed of the melody faster. The left side should be the lightest weight making the gong be at a slower speed. The center weight controls the time mechanism of the clock.
The spring you were asking about sounds like the suspension spring and it helps in the motion of the pendulum swing. If it is bent or broken in any way it will not work properly.
For any other parts someone smarter than me will have to help!!
Hope this helps you!!
Best regards,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012