• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

English Dial Clock Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have recently aquired a Dial Clock and after a mainspring and a couple of bushings have it running and keeping good time. I would like to know if there are any databases on these old clocks or clues that might help me figure out when it was made and whether anyone might know somebody that could repaint the dial. The dial is 14 inches in diameter and is of a ferrous metal. The lettering has gone from the dial but you can see where it said BRIGHTON on the middle and XXESSXY at the top. Clock maker, Retailer, Platform name?? The time track was repainted by "Aunt Betty" so it needs help. The glass is a heavy lovely thing with a couple of nice bubbles in it. The movement is a chain driven fusee with no markings at all on it. It is pinned together and to the dial. I'm sure there were a billion of these things made but any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
The movement

posted
Nice clock Mike, I'm particularly fond of these old fusee dial clocks.

Probably the best (and only?) reference at the moment on dial clocks, is 'English Dial Clocks' by Ronald E Rose, I was lucky enough to snag a signed copy on eBay a few weeks back.

There's not really enough to go on from the photo's to narrow down the age of yours much.
If you can show a closer photo of the movement pillars and escapement (anchor or dead beat) plus the case back and a side shot of the bezel, I may be able to narrow things down a tad.

The fusee chain doesn't help much really, as cable as well as chain was used post and pre 1900's.

Thwaites were huge manufacturers of these clocks, but they generally stamped a production number on the plates - are there any numbers anywhere?

The name on the dial may well be a retailing clockmaker, as many bought in clocks from the main makers and stuck their names on the dial.

These clocks were also used in factory offices, schools, railway station offices, courthouses and post offices, so the name could be a reference to any of those leads.
The only movement that appears similar to yours in Rose's book is in a drop dial type, but the maker engraved his name on the plates.

More often, the mainspring barrel is situated on the bottom corner of the plates, so your clock is a bit out of the ordinary being placed mid-way.
Certainly the 4x fusee's I have are placed at the bottom corner.

Based on Rose's ID data, and looking at the movement, the hands style and the triangular 5 minute markers + ringed chapters, I'd take a stab that yours dates between 1890 and 1930.
The bezel shape, movement pillars and escapement types will nail it closer maybe.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Try this one

posted
John, thanks for your reply. As suggested ,here are a few other pictures.The above shows what I think is an anchor escapement and straight pillars with a shoulder at each end. The back of the case is one piece with a crack. The case has an access door in the left side and of course one in the bottom The bezel appears to me to be stamped brass that has then been filled with a plaster like material?? These give you any more clues?

posted
The bezel and side of case. Thank you again John

posted
Mike, thanks for the photo's,
Putting together the hands style, bezel type and pillar shapes, looks to date your clock around 1875 - 1900.

The pillars appear slightly tapered, and two profiles are shown for 1875 & 1900 which closely match yours.
If they're dead straight though, then a spanner gets chucked in the works, because two profiles for 1830 & 1835 - 1850 are shown.
I'm assuming the pillars are pinned on the dial side of the plates?
I really need a clear full side on shot of the pillars, so I can see the profile and the hubs.

The cemented spun bezel was used between 1855 - 1930, with the main use between 1875 & 1930

The anchor escapement & round bottomed box were used mainly from 1800 to 1930, so too big a period to help much - had it been a dead beat escapement, it's use appears to have ended around 1880.

The triangle 5 minute markers BTW, were used from 1790 to 1930, I read the wrong line on the graph Roll Eyes
Looks like the pillars will be the clincher!

Hope this helps

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John, You are of course correct. The pillars are tapered from 8.15mm to 9.075mm. Yes the pillars are pinned on the dial side and have a tapered end. Mike

posted
Mike, the pillars for 1875 are the closest match to yours, and the hour hand type also matches that year except the minute hand is slightly more tapered.
There will obviously be slight variations to some styles, but based on Rose's info, I think it's probably close enough.

I'm sure that there will be someone reading your post soon that knows much more about dating these clocks, hopefully they'll add something more for you.

Best regards

John

posted
John, I can't thank you enough for the help.For you to take the time and energy to help a newbie like me is way beyond what is expected. Again, Thank you. Mike

posted
My pleasure Mike, after the month I've just had, getting my teeth into some watch and clock issues again is like a breath of fresh air.

Hopefully one day, you too will be in a position to offer someone some help when needed, you never know it may even be me Big Grin

Best regards

John