WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery miniature tower clock - help needed please. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Gorham
posted
I picked this up at auction on Friday - it's 16" by 16" and well made. Any idea what it is or who made it please?

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
Here is the reverse.

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
GREETINGS MICHAEL, I BELIEVE YOUR MOVEMENT IS NOT COMPLETE, IT IS EITHER A SMALL TOWER CLOCK MOVEMENT OR FOR A CLOCK MOUNTED ON THE FRONT OF A BUILDING. THE MISSING PARTS COULD BE THE GRAVITY ARMS AND EITHER A 4 OR SIX LEGGED ESCAPEWHEEL, THE PENDULUM NO DOUBT HUNG FROM ANOTHER BRACKET NOT ATTACHED TO THE MOVEMENT FRAME, THE PURPOSE OF THE FLY I BELIEVE WAS TO SLOW DOWN THE ESCAPE WHEEL SO IT WOULD NOT BOUNCE ON THE PALLETS ON THE GRAVITY ARMS. IT IS A VERY INTERESTING MOVEMENT. EDDIE HINES

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Eddie! Where have you been?

I fell in love with it when I saw it and picked it up for a ridiculous $100.

Makes up for the overspending I did at the auction!

posted
From info kindly given by Ken on the ebay boards, it is a Hahl pneumatic master clock movement.

Ken continued to say:

"The pnumatics operated all the slave clocks in the building. There would have been 2 bellows attached to the levers. On the bottom front of the movement there is the actual clock mechanism (Not sure it is on the OP,s movement). Every 2 minutes the vertical fan is released. It advances the minute hand 2 minutes, winds the spring on the clock mechanism and activates one of the bellows that would make all the clocks in the building advance 2 minutes. The clock when equipped with the original pnumatics required 2 weights that were approximately 50 lbs each. Without the pnumatics attached I got it to run on 2 five pound weights."

Here is a link to one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8...s/72157605325181153/