• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unknown mantle clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Good day, I have just registered in Chapter 185 and am enjoying very much the different discussions topics. I have been having clocks for years (I cannot say I am a collector since I do not know anything about clocks and have only a few; I just love to watch them!!). I found this clock at an used items shop. Does anyone know about it? I think it is german, because of the hands. Case is wood, black lackered. It was sold for the chinese market and the back is not easy to be opened (it was not intended for a regular opening). Thanks

Posts: 9 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: February 08, 2005
posted
View of the front of the clock

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jose,
Welcome to IHC, Ch. 185!! It is great to have you here. For your first post you picked a beauty. My area of greater knolwedge is American clocks.

From my experience I believe you are right about this being German. The hands, as you mentioned, and the beveled glass are typical of cases that are made in Germany.

I can't give you an identification yet. My reference sources on German clocks are pretty limited, but I will search around. Perhaps someone else already has the answer at hand.

We certainly don't have all the answers here, but will give it our best shot at finding out what you want to know. Keep posting!! and enjoy the site!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you very much Tom. I think I will learn a lot. I live in Singapore and my work sends me to many countries in Asia; I have seen some German clocks that were made for the Chinese market (Kienzle, Junghans and others). I found this clock relatively unexpensive (about $150) because the pendulum seemed not to be original to the clock. I think it may be early 1900s but it is just a guess. There is a Chinese label attached to the back. Picture attached. Cheers