Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

SAMGAMO Clock?? What is it?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Does anybody know what this clock is for. I bought it because of the name, & it looked interisting. I only bid about 20 bucks, really didn't expect to get it??
It has a light bulb on the top, and its approx 6"x6". I wind it up and it works excellent for about 18 hours.
auction here*
Thanks,
Jack

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I believe it is a devise that keeps track of how long a person has been driving. It was, required in some vehicles. Not sure of all the details. Someone may have more of the nitty gritty to add to this.

I believe this is a UK regulation.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Here is some great information on the tachograph.

From what I have discovered about these devices, they are sometimes called "Tattle Tales" because they record all stops, speeds and extended breaks of drivers. The front portion of this device is for the clock only. When the hinged cover is opened, a disc is inserted to record the information. I don't know what the recording function looks like because it was not with my clock when I bought it.

Today a simple GPS system can perform the same functions. Big Brother Is Watching!!

Tachograph

Here is a picture of the Sangamo Tachograph that I have. It keeps perfect time!

posted
12 Hour Tachograph Clock, mechanical.

Notice that this clock was well used as noted by the wear on the plating behind the winding key.

IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Thank you all very much. It keeps excellent time. I am thinking about putting it on our IHS auction next week if anybody is interesred.
Thanks again,
Jack

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Phil,I believe you are correct-when I worked ambulance,we had a similar(probably more modern)device to record times and speed.We wern't supposed to go over 70 mph,but at times the graph recorded over 90! Well,when you have a dying kid in the back,no one complained.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002