Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Porcelain - La Nord "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I think this is a style clock that either you really like or you really don't.

This one is the Ansonia "La Nord" with a Royal Bonn case.

What do the rest of you think of these porcelain clocks. Please post some examples of others in this category.

The values on these seem quite high. Tran's book lists this one at $800. Comments please on the place of these clocks in a collection.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
A few hundred dollars to zilch in a few miliseconds. The attached picture represents the main hazard of owning porcelain clocks. Be very aware of the condition of the clicks and ratchet wheels on the springs. I heard a whir one evening, then a pop, and the pieces hit the floor. This one is the LaRambla model, the case was perfect, no chips, no cracks, no craclking under the glaze, but the original buyer didn't opt for the exposed escapement, fancy bezel and porcelain dial.

Busted

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John,
I believe there are restorers who can make that clock look like new. There used to be one that came to the Great Lakes Regional, but has not been there for several years now. I am not sure of cost, but I think the pieces are worth keeping until you can locate someone who can handle the repair. I have seen some great results.

The one pictured above, has a crack in the back, and eventually I will get it to a repairman for proper restoration.

Actually, just yesterday I saw a green porcelain case without a movement, in an antique shop.!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Your clock Tom looks very nice, i think my wife would love a clock like that in her living room, i have not seen them around here, must be rare.Too bad what happened to the other clock, at least it could be repaired and enjoyed again.

posted
I like the porcelain clocks, I have recently acquired three Gilbert porcelains. I am a little concerned about what happened to your clock John, I guess I am going to have to be careful with mine.

Richard

Posts: 26 | Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is another gorgeous porcelain. The picture does not do it justice. This is a real beauty. It belongs to a friend of mine who is, I believe, wanting to sell it. Notice the dragons in each lower corner. The sides are equally gorgeous. I thought I would grab a picture of it before it is gone.

Tom