• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pennsylvania Tall Case? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This clock was advertised at auction as a PA Clock. It stands 91 1/2 inches by 14 inches wide on the bonnet, 16 inches at the bottom, and 9 1/2 inches deep. I do not know wood, but it might be pine. I am loading several pictures looking for help in possibly identifying it. Thanks in advance for any response.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Movement front.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Movement rear. The cut out at the bottom might aid in its identification.

posted
Dial, painted and has all of the characteristics of a dial by the English dial maker James Wilson having WILSON BIRM on the back of the calendar circle, a splotch of white paint and the numbers 84 667 on the back.

posted
I do not think the seat board and movement were original to this clock. What I am trying to determine is whether this is a Pennsylvania case and whether the movement is American or European

posted
The winding barrel is smooth.
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

posted
Pendulum bob, crank, and crutch wire showing the slot where the crutch engages

posted
Cast iron weights.
13lbs 12.6 oz
13lbs 10.5 oz

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hi Ken, nice clock, I think the wood might be Maple.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Ken: I really like your clock. While not an expert on them by a long shot I will add my 2 cents worth till the heavy weights jump in. I would agree with Gary that it would appear to be maple with possibility of cherry in the top moulding and the turnings beside the door. I did some work on a similar case a few years ago that reportedly came from Pa. I think it was mostly pine. I suspect all these woods would both be native to Pa.
Have no idea of the movements origin but like the detail on the back plate esp the post nuts.
What makes you think the movement is not original to the case?

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
posted
I believe the entire clock is cherry.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I do not believe it to be made from cherry. It is way to blond to be cherry and most cherry boards have light sap marks in them. I do not see any on this piece.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
The wood looks like cherry to me. It was a common hedgerow wood in PA where I grew up. Most of it and the big walnuts were cut down by the 1950's. While cherry does have a white sapwood, the trees get (got) fairly large. I have a cherry drop-leaf table with a 22" top with no sapwood. The lighter color may be due to refinishing.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yep, I'm thinking cherry too. Long exposure to sunlight will fade cherry to a real light color.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Hmm...My own experience with a houseful of cherry furniture and cabinetry says cherry wood rather quickly darkens as a function of exposure to light, but I don't know if the process reverses itself over very long stretches of time.

-Damien

Posts: 143 | Location: Puget Sound, Washington in the USA | Registered: January 16, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Interesting. I do have a tv cabinet that I made from cherry that is considerably darker than when I made it in or around 1985.

But, on the other hand I also have a cherry hutch that was given to my mother in 1962, which sat in her dining room exposed to the southern sun through three windows side by side for about 20 years.

Here's an un-retouched photo showing both sides right and left, with the right side, (left side in the picture) considerably bleached out, I'm assuming because of the sun.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
The clock dial outline and the bonnet door front outline are the same shape, but the door glass is about a half inch wider all around than the dial. Also there are nail/screw holes in the seat board, but no corresponding holes in the case.

posted
Another thing, the same pattern that appears on the post nuts is cut into the front of the winding arbors. It would seem to me that this might be some sort of signature.