Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Needed Identifying Clock: Kienzle "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
We picked up this pretty little clock yesterday for a song. Needs a cleaning/adjustment, but has a nice sounding chime. The chime is out of sync with the clock so there's little correlation between time and chimes Roll Eyes

I looked through my clock books last night trying to get a lead on the maker. The gothic face looks German, but not sure about the 4-leaf clover?

Thanks,
Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Here's a photo of the back plate...

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
And the lucky clover pendulum...

posted
A picture of the movement might help.Just loosen the knurled screws on each side of mounting bracket and slide it out.Maybe there will be a trade mark on the back of movement.Four leaf clover on pendulum probably doesn't mean any thing.I have a book with most of the European makers so if there is a trademark maybe I can look it up.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Norman,
Thanks for the tip! Here's the back of the movement. The trademark has wings and a snowflake (?) in the middle, with "Kienzle" stamped above it, and "D.R. Patent" stamped below. Also there is 34 over 114 1/2 stamped in the lower right corner.

Evan

IHC Life Member
posted
Knowing how to pull the movement was what I needed. I was able to find the Kienzle name and similar looking clocks dated to ~1890. Here's a pic of the cast mounting--not sure what it means? The wing logo appears the same (found on line that the center circle is supposed to be a clock face, not a snowflake).

posted
Hi Evan,Kienzel is a well made German clock.the company was founded by James Schlenker.In 1919 the name was changed to Kienzle Uhrenfabriken.In 1939 they merged with Th.Ernst Haller,had 3500 employees and had made over 5 million clocks.They are still active today.As far as the gong,there were many different names for them.Don't know if it had to do with different sound or the company that made them.Regards,Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice clock Evan!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Norm,
Thanks again! Once you gave me the tip about loosening the knurled knobs the rest was easy searching. From my quick search it looks like the company also made clocks and gauges for VW and Porsche, as well as some not-so-attractive mid-century electric and battery clocks.

Seems like a nice little clock that I should be able to get running right without too much trouble.
Evan

IHC Life Member
posted
quote:
Nice clock Evan!

Dave Turner

Thanks Dave!