Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show and tell: Beha cuckoo with FULL SIZE bird "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Justin J. Miller
posted
Here is a unique Cuckoo clock, made by the BEHA family in Eisenbach during the later part of the 19 C.

The cuckoo clock is unique for many reasons.

The most recognizable trait of this cuckoo being unique is the cuckoo bird.

Instead of the bird coming through a door like a traditional cuckoo, the bird is perched on the top of the clock.

He is life size, 11.5 inches from beak to tail.

Carved out of wood, and then painted with glass eyes.

The cuckoo is fully mechanical, with moveable legs, beak, and wings.

When the bird is activated on the hour with the call, he dips his head down the wings flap and beak opens.

This is the same function that happens on all high quality cuckoo clocks from the 19C.; the effect is just so much difference because of the size.

Another unique feature of this clock is the movement.

It has three trains; it has a time train, a cuckoo call-automation train, and a strike train.

The cuckoo only automates and calls the hour on this piece, but the half is called on a melon size bell located on the top of the clock.

The three different trains make the call of this cuckoo clock unique.

On most cuckoo clocks the call is as follows:

Cuckoo-strike, Cuckoo-strike, Cuckoo-strike etc (once for each hour)

The cuckoo and the strike happen together as they share the same train.

On the clock pictured above the strike and cuckoo trains are separate, each train has its own count wheel.

This allows the cuckoo to call the full hour: Cuckoo-Cuckoo –Cuckoo (3:00)
After a brief pause, you get the hour called again on the large bell (Ding, Ding, Ding)

It also allows the half hour to be called by the bell alone, with out the cuckoo or automation.

A unique set up.

The back board is signed, Lorenz BEHA (one of the two sons of Johann Baptist Beha that took over his factory around 1870)

A little info on the clock, for quite sometime I thought this clock to be a “one of” piece made by the BEHA factory special order or just messing around, as I have done extensive research on the BEHA factory, and this clock appears no where in any catalog, publication etc.

On a trip to Eisenbach, I was speaking with a friend, who is also BEHA related, (also an avid collector of BEHA cuckoo’s).

He said that these clocks were made to be displayed at the World fairs and Special exhibitions. Since the BEHA’s were cuckoo clock makers…this cuckoo witht eh full size bird was the perfect display!

He had in his collection a document that described a similar clock being sent to the 1893 Worlds fair in Chicago for display.

I have since come to find out the family (BEHA) owns three examples of this clock! (All different but with the full size cuckoo up top)

Once again, like always don’t assume something is a “one of” …

I just wanted to share another piece out of my collection that may be of interest to someone.

Posts: 44 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: February 11, 2005
posted
side view to see bell

(Picture resized for easy viewing.)

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Justin,
Thanks for that great post. That is one impressive clock. Thanks also for the good description of the mechanism. That is certainly differrent from any I have seen. I enjoyed that very much.

P.S. I downsized your pictures to fit more easily on the screen without scrolling.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom, looks much better! What is the size to keep it under?

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
You are welcome. No problem resizing them.

Maximum width for viewing without scrolling is 650 pixels. Length is not as much of a problem.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
WOW! That is really nice. I have not seen one like it in my 18 years of repairing. It seems like you have a real find there.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
Hi Justin, Just a fantastic clock. On my travels through the black forest, I don't remember of seeing anything like that.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom and Bruce!

When I saw the clock... I knew I would prob not see another for sale.

Justin

posted
Justin, awesome cuckoo clock, a real rare find.
Beautiful clock, about how old is this clock?
Great picture too Justin.
Thanks for sharing this one. Smile

posted
Kevin-

This cuckoo was made c. 1875 - 1890.