• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

2nd Question of the Week "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Due to the response I received after posting the answer to the first question I have decided to try another. Should you know the answer please don't post it. I will answer next Monday.
This weeks question is an easy one.
What is the pictured object? How and when is it used?
Thanks for looking,
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
I thik i got it.To balance a balance wheel on a watch.

posted
Not even close Kevin. Note that this is the 'Clock' forum.
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Joe,
I wish I had three of these when I got my Herschede at a local auction. I made a set for the next time I move it.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Hi Andy,
I have had three since 1977.
Joe

posted
Hey J.C.,didnt I tell you that you would get a better response on your next question of the week.
I'm glad you didn't give up on it,the fellas that have previously posted seem to enjoy your horological brain teasers,me too, keep em coming Joe.
Sincerely,Bob F.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Back to the drawing board, i will think harder on this one, yes this is the clock forum. Eek

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Obviously its not what I thought it was. By the posts I "think" I know...what it is used for. But cannot figure out how it is used.

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Hi All.
Thanks to all who viewed this post and to the ones that commented.
The pictured item is one of a set of three shipping blocks for a Herschede tall clock. Andy pegged it right away.
As for when it is used, I use mine any time I find it necessary to remove the weights. They ensure that the cables stay in place.
This picture, scanned from an owners manual, shows how they were used.
Thanks again for looking and look for the next question tommorrow.

Joe

posted
Thanks Joe.I was not sure where on the clock they were used.There were a few hints, but i did not know.
Looking forward to your next question.
It,s people like you, who help us learn. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
They are very handy. They still use them, the new ones are styrofoam.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002