• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

400 day Forrestville clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is a project clock.I am new to these 400 day clocks and this clock has been cleaned but does not want to run.I am thinking the next step is to replace the mainspring.The movement just seems slugish.
These 400 day clocks are adictive.
Smile Roll Eyes

400 day

posted
Great looking clock Kevin. Be sure that it is on a solid surface and is perfectly level. I have three of them and they can be really finicky.

Tom

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Does 400 day refer to how long they take to fix? Big Grin

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Grant you have to be a real dedicated clock person to work on these.And if you excuse the pun, alot of time on your hands.Getting the clock in beat is a 2 week job.
The repair sosts for these clocks are very high, due to the time it takes to put in beat and regulate and maybe trouble shoot.
When they work well they are quite accurate and nice to look at.
If you ever find one sitting around and no one wants it, you can drop it off at my house and i will give it a good home. Smile Razz

IHC Life Member
Picture of Shawn Johnston
posted
Hi Kevin
Nice clock,you are right about beat setting it can be a real challenge at tymes.I have 3 of these clocks myself,they are somewhat of a unique breed as you know.I also like Atmos clocks,now if you want to talk about fussy.Anyway 400 day's can be quit the challenge,but if you persever it can be a rewarding challenge.You say it has been cleaned,but is sluggish.Is the train quit free,about 2 clicks on a fully unwound mainspring,without the verge installed an it should run effortlessly.If it does not I would search elsewere for a problem,before a mainspring replacement.It very well may need a mainspring,but I would exhaust all other area's first.

Keep Ticking

Cheers Shawn

Posts: 47 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada | Registered: January 08, 2005
posted
Yes, 400 day clocks can be hard to set the beat on. I stopped taking them in to repair until I finally bought an electronic timer. You can set the beat equal to within 0.1 seconds in about 10 minutes with one of these timers.

I think Bill E. told me that he always replaces the suspension and main springs. I always build up new suspension springs but take a look at the mainspring before ordering a new one, they are not inexpensive.

Good luck.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
Shawn i did as you suggested.The escape wheel turns no problem.I am going to polish the pallets and i noticed some crud on pinions that the ultrasonic did not get off.Also noticed a pallet had been moved.I will put it back and resemble and oil and see what happens next.
Smile