Internet Horology Club 185
Solvang Antique Center

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/592105922

January 19, 2010, 15:51
William D. White
Solvang Antique Center
Hello,

I'm not usually over here in the clock area but there is something I want to share. We just spent a short weekend in Santa Barbara and on the way home we stopped off in the town of Solvang where I discovered the most amazing collective of clocks and watches ever! They also stocked a good variety of other really expensive stuff too such as paintings, music boxes, pianos, estate jewelry, candelabras & chandeliers, toys, antique scales and even an antique meat slicer! Anyway I was quite amazed and the nice staff invited me to take as many photographs as I liked so here a few are. Also, here is a link to their website with the entire inventory cataloged: Solvang Antique Center

William

info@whitescrystals.com
William D. White
Exterior view.

William D. White

William D. White

January 19, 2010, 15:52
William D. White
This french regulator clock made by Paul Garnier has a thermometer in the pendulum and features the equation of time complication! It is on sale for only $185,000.

William D. White
Here's a closeup of the dials used to calculate the difference between solar time and mean time.

William D. White
I'm not even a clock person but I can always spot one of these!

William D. White
Dial closeup.

William D. White
A very nice collection of carriage and travel clocks too.

January 19, 2010, 16:33
Eddie G. Hines
GREETINGS WILLIAM, NICE PICTURES NICE CLOCKS, SOLVANGS IS A GOOD PLACE TO SHOP AND DREAM. I REMEMBER READING ONE OF YOUR POSTS AND YOU SAID YOU WERE FROM MUNCIE,IND I TOO AM FROM MUNCIE I DON'T GET BACK THERE OFTEN SO I AM SURE THINGS HAVE CHANGED A LOT. TAKE CARE AND DID YOU PICK UP ANY BARGAINS AT SOLVANGS? EDDIE
January 21, 2010, 07:15
William D. White
Thanks Eddie,

No bargains at the Solvang antique center...it's pretty much full blown retail as you would expect but the finest inventory anywhere I think.

All of my immediate relatives live in or around Muncie so I do get back there from time to time. It really hasn't changed much but it is always a good spot to shop for clocks and watches...as well as visit the family! I bought my son Oliver, who is now almost 4, a Westclox Pocket Ben there but he doesn't like it much because even at his age, he knows it's cheap. I always carry a "good" pocket watch and he knows the difference just by the weight, just like us I guess! He won't wear it and will have nothing to do with it but understands that a proper Bunn Special is down the road a ways. So for now he just doesn't wear a watch and is dismayed at the realization of this: Anything we're willing to give him at his age is indestructible junk...smart boy I guess.

The antique collective in Solvang, which is close to Santa Barbara, CA, is worth a visit sometime if you're ever that way.

William

info@whitescrystals.com