Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

J. Planche ?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
A friend of mine owns a tall case clock (English) with what appears to be J Planche on the dial. The flourishes on the letters make it difficult to positively identify. Was there any such maker or a name resembling this in London?

Thanks,
Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Member 1063
posted
another look

IHC Member 1063
posted
the dial

IHC Member 1063
posted
the maker

posted
A very, very nice clock.

Sorry I couldn't trace the name on the dial. But by the syling of the dial and the clock case I would suggest a date of around 1790.

The name on the dial could change over time as they can be accidently overwritten and misinterpreted by the person re-writting a name which is indistinct

Ultra-violet light might show if this has happened.

To me the name that is shown is a little out of the ordinary - not that that means its not correct of course - just sheds a little more doubt on it.

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
Dana,

There are no clockmakers by that name in any of the reference books I have here, but there may be a mention (if he exists) in Brian Loomes' new reference book.

I would recommend you visit Robert Loomes website from the link I've posted below.
He has a contact link on the site, and also a guide on the site to dating White Dial Clocks.
None of the styles of any period shown looks like the dial on your friend's clock except the first type - which has painted spandrels!

His father BTW is Brian Loomes, author of 'Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the world'
If he can't help, no one can.

http://www.dialrestorer.co.uk/2.html

Good luck!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006