• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Gilbert Q "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hope y'all don't mind a newbie clock question. I was given this Gilbert by a friend who's wife insisted "It must go." He said it never kept time, but once it was home and leveled up, it kept perfect time...

Anyway, I don't know much about the world of clocks. I know that Gilbert made a bunch of them, but I'm curious if anyone might be able to shed some light on its age. Here's some pictures...

Someone has put a new face and bezel on it...

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
But I managed to have him give me the old dial, although the glass and bezel is missing...

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Here's the innerds...

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831

posted
So,

Any info you can share as to the age, company, etc, would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Mike,
The William L. Gilbert Clock Co. began in 1871. I could not find the exact model you have pictured, but I think I have a few clues to help you get closer to the date. The dial was a big help. I think Timesavers has a bezel and glass for that dial. It is definitely better looking than the replacement. (In my opinion.)

There were many variations made on these cases, but the tambour style began in the 1920s and continues to be made today. The dial shows up on models from the mid 1920s. The case has a bit of a point on the top rather than the smooth curve. This also was present from the early 1920s. The two tone design (one of the pictures) were not so common, but the model pictured was from 1925.

The second picture shows the movement and dial combination. There were a variety of case styles and dial options available and buyers often did their own mix 'n match to suite their or their customer's taste.

Your clock seems to have the original hands. They do match the ones in the movement illustration and in my experience are what you usually find with that dial.

The picture shows this combination as 1931, but I think both may have been available earlier. As I noted above, the dial was available in 1926.

Hope this helps.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
movement and dial

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks for the great info Tom. I had suspected that the clock was from the late 20's. Sounds like that is a possibility. The new dial looks to be from Klockit, and I'll look on timesavers to see if I can find a glass/bezel to get the original back on it. It has a lovely sound, and seems to be running well. It was services by a local clock shop in 1996, so it's probably due for a little cleaning and oiling. Looks like I'll have to learn that alsoWink

Again, thanks for the info.

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831

<Guy Smith>
posted
Hi Mike,
I have **** near the exact same clock, only difference is the dial numbers are in brass. I had it dated by a gentleman who I believe to be correct at about 1918+/- 3 years.

posted
The 2 numbers on the back plate near the strike main arbor are the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture. The pic is not real clear, but they appear to be in the 1920's.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
Mike,

I also have a clock that looks almost just like yours. I have not been able to figure out what model Gilbert it is. It was the first antique clock I purchased -- I got it at a regional. I got it because it looks like the clock my grandfather use to have on his mantel.

Richard

Posts: 26 | Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2003