• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

tall case clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
For quite some time, I have been eying a spot in my living room and thinking how nice a grandfather clock would look there. I have decided this is the year to do it. Due to the fact that they are a rather scarce commodity in this area, (at least ones for sale), I am contemplating building one from a kit. I have considered purchasing one on ebay, but the shipping is absolutely out of this world and if it is not packed right, who knows what might arrive at my door.
Question..... Has anyone else had any experience building a grandfather clock from a kit? I would like to know before hand if it is practical or not. I have been looking at clocks at this site.

http://www.colonialtimes.com/

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me. Thanks in advance

NAWCC Member 157316
IHC Member 156

Posts: 39 | Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Brent, I have not put together one of these clocks myself, but have serviced many of them. The look of the case varies from outstanding to "Hey, I'm a kit clock!" The people who put them together said that the quality of the wood was good and the cuts were accurate. The skill of the person doing the work has a lot to do with the finished product. One clock I worked on had 12 screws to hold on the top backboard behind the movement. A bit of overkill. Many had purchased from Emperor Clock Co. I don't know if they are still in business.

I looked at the page you referred and it looks pretty good. Different levels of kits for different skill levels. There were some nice models to choose from.

I think there could be a great deal of satisfaction in making your own clock. One I worked on was shipped by boat from Brazil in one of those containers. This clock was his pride and joy. He nearly died when they raised the container from the ship and water poured from the seams. By the time I got the movement there was a great deal of rust and corrosion over everything. He was determined to get the case back in shape from its water damage while I worked on the movement. You could see the pride he took in it when the finished case and movement were reunited!!

Have fun!!

NAWCC #41293
Internet Horology Chapter #104
Interim Exec. V.P. of IHC

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have a very good friend who is in the business of refinishing antique wood furniture and he is willing to help me with the woodwork if I should go this route. He is a perfectionist at his craft so I am sure that I would end up with a very nice clock! I can end up with a magnificent grandfather clock, with a nine tube movement {as advertised} for less than 3 grand Canadian. Not too shabby if all works out as planned. I am currently discussing details with the vender. Thanks for your response! I think I can rest assured that the finish on my clock, with the help of my friend, will be fabulous!

NAWCC Member 157316
IHC Member 156

posted
Buy the way, what is your experience and opinion on the movement HERMLE with the 9 tube chimes, that is 1500 Canadian alone! Is it a good movement?

NAWCC Member 157316
IHC Member 156

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Brent, the Hermle 9 tube is a very good cable wind movement. You made a good choice to go with the tubular bells, that is the best sound! It sounds like you are ready for some fun. Take some before and after pictures and let us know how it is going.

NAWCC #41293
Internet Horology Chapter #104
Interim Exec. V.P. of IHC

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002