Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please check out this clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all:

As some of you have probably noticed, I am seeking an authentic Kroeber porcelain clock.
This one is currently on eBay. I have never heard of the movement maker and wonder if it could be original to the clock.
Also, I have an original Kroeber Eclipse movement with the captured pendulum. Tran's book lists that as the correct pendulum for that clock China #12.
What do you all think?

How do I attach the eBay listing?

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye,
I tried that number and did not come up with a Kroeber clock.

I did a search for Kroeber clocks and did not see a porcealain one.

Could you check the number again?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Sorry about the eBay listing. It is eBay Item 6510211331. The seller misspelled the Kroeber--called it Krober.
Thanks, for your reply Tom. Did you ever buy that Fashion clock you talked about?
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye,
THIS ARTICLE answers the question.

It seems that Phelps and Bartholomew did supply movements for Kroeber. I think it is pretty unusual to find one. That, in my opinion, makes this clock very interesting.

In regards to the Fashion. I passed the information on to my brother in law, and I don't know if he took advantage of it or not.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks so very much, Tom.

That article is so interesting. You are really the source of valuable information.

I bet this will be a most sought-after clock--too rich for my blood. Will be interesting to watch the auction.

Pattye

posted
Pattye and Tom, interesting article and i bet one rare clock.I really love the fancy work on the clock plates.Don,t see that too often.Great information on the clock Tom.

posted
Well folks, I won the auction! 'Twas exciting! Hope this one doesn't get broken. Stay tuned!
Pattye

posted
Hi again:
Do you folks have any packaging "secrets" that I should insist upon for this china clock? The seller tells me he has shipped over 300 clocks successfully, including internationally and will use USPS priority mail.
Also, payment options are Paypal, money order, and cashier's check. What do you all use?
Thanks again, for all your help.
Pattye

Picture of Justin J. Miller
posted
Pattye,

I personaly dont use the USPS.

I had a French Automaton (under a glass dome) destroyed by them a few years ago, beyond repair. It was also sent registered etc. etc.

I have never had a problem with Fedex.

Fedex and UPS are in the business... we are the customers....

I have found the USPS is not a business, but a agency... no one seems to care. (no pun to anyone who works for the USPS... just my expirence)

Make sure it is packed well, if it is packed bad and it breaks the INS is no good (had it happen)

I am sure many things make it just fine via USPS, but it was that one item that did it for me.

Paypal is the best for the buyer 100% protection when you use your credit card. And it does not cost you anything...

Posts: 44 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: February 11, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I guess it is all in the experiences that we have had. I use only USPS very successfully since I have had bad experiences with UPS, others I talked with who ship alot also have had better success with USPS than with UPS.

Tom

Picture of Justin J. Miller
posted
I am sure your right Tom...

Pattye I am sure whatever service you use will be fine, but make sure it is double boxed and packed well...

Let us know when you get it!

Justin

Posts: 44 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: February 11, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Pattye,

That's a beautiful clock, congratulations!

I pay using my bank credit card through PayPal so if anything goes wrong I have recourse.

For shipping, I use fully insured USPS Priority Mail and I've had zero problems. Recently I shipped an Atmos (plate glass on 5 of the 6 sides mind you) from Ohio to Rhode Island. We shipped on a Monday, it arrived at the destination mid-day Wednesday with absolutely no damage or problems of any kind.

I'd also point out the obvious, careful packing makes all the difference. Big Grin

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I think Justin and Lindell have hit on the key. The only thing in your control is the packing. Do it well, and you greatly diminish the chance of anything happening, no matter who the carrier. talk to enough people and you will hear stories about disasters from all quarters.

One unique method of shipping for a fragile clock that a friend used, was to pad the bottom of the box. Set the clock in the middle. Put plastic bags on each side of the clock. Fill the bags with insulating foam (that stuff in spray cans that expands dramatically when sprayed out.)that will take the shape of the clock, yet remain in the bags. Be sure to leave the top open for expansion so that there is not a lot of pressure on the clock. When expansion stops, trim the foam even with the top of the clock and you are set!

Tom

posted
Pattye,

The foam in bag technique sounds like a great idea for such a fragile item. I have not tried it yet, but I will on my next shipment.

As far as what service to use, I have not had issues with USPS but have with UPS. A few years back I sent a box to CA thru UPS. About a week later I got a letter from my client with pictures of a serverly wadded up box (thankfully the contents were OK). It looked like it had fallen off the back of the truck and laid at an angle resting on the bumper, whereupon they backed over it tumbling the box under the truck. They delivered it anyway.

I showed the pics to the local UPS counter person and he took them to the back room. Apparently at the moment the regional director was visiting. He asked to keep the photos. The next trip there the counter person said the head of the office at destination was fired because they should have called me for disposition and the parcel should not have been delivered without my say so. They took it very seriously.

Right now UPS is probably the high cost provider, but they supply $100 automatic insurance. FedEx is a bit cheaper but I don't remember if they insure without extra cost. For very fragile items I would not use USPS.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
Thanks everyone for your good advice.
Decided to go ahead with the USPS Priority Mail with double boxing chosen by the seller.
Also decided to use Paypal-a first for me.
Once burned (previously received a broken porcelain clock), doubly cautious.
Again, thanks to all.
Pattye