• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unknown clock movement doesn't work? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I could use some help to identify this movement and perhaps from the pictures tell me what's wrong with it? Thank you in advance.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
back

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
markings

posted
GTREETINGS CARLOS, THE MOVEMENT IS NO DOUBT A GERMAN WESTMINSTER CHIME MOVEMENT FOR A MANTEL CLOCK. WHAT THE PROBLEM IS THE 3 MAINSPRING BARRELS ARE MISSING AND IT COULD BE A PROBLEM TO FIND THE CORRECT ONES. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Carlos,
As Eddie states, probably of German origin and maybe by Schatz.
The patent number on the backplate looks like its relating to the chiming mechanism, which is attributed to Schatz.
Link to some info on this link:

http://www.wikipatents.com/gb/421434.html

As well as the barrels missing, the ratchet wheels and retainer plates have gone too, and unless you can find an exact match for the movement, you'll be lucky to find barrels with the same tooth pitch to make this one a goer!.
The chime hammer shafts are also bent upwards - they would be a nightmare to straighten out, and then you'd have to find an intact chime rod block.

These movements are typically installed in Mantle and Grandaughter type clocks, and can be had on eBay for around £25-£50GBP complete with dial, hands and chime rods.
The higher price reflects that for similar movements with Westminster/Whittington (& or) St Michael chime sequences on the same movement. (Double or Triple chimer)!
I'd chuck it in my bits box as a donor for spares to be honest.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thank you both for your comments. I agree that it will more than likely end up as a parts movement and will search for a complete one. Thank you again!