WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Beautiful Hand Carved Regulator Clock ID/History?Please. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Attaching a picture of an old regulator clock. Can someone ID this piece and any history about this. Rough value would be a benefit. Looks to be in excellent shape. This is the only pic I can get. Thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
looks like a Korean reproduction from about 20 years ago.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Appreciate the reply. Question though. How can you tell it is a repo for sure and what clock is it a repo for? Thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
Mark,
Many of the Asian made clocks have rather impressive looking cases. This is a sad situation to me as the movements are of poor quality.
There are lots of things that will sound the alarm on clocks and many of these come with experience. On this clock, I would first be looking for any identification on the dial. Next I would check the movement. If one could see the movement in this clock, I think you would find the springs are 30 or 31 day springs, the gauge of the metal in the movement will be light and the clicks and return springs would be wobbly. (To me, as a repair person, all of the above could be a danger to me.) I would also likely recognize the way the suspension spring was mounted. Another give away would be Phillips head screws. These were invented much later than the golden age of clocks.
Sometimes the lessons with clocks, like gambling lessons, are very expensive.
Best Regards,
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Its a repo, I have seen these in a light blond wood. I think LaRose used to sell them.

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003