• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Candy Stripes, Mosaics and such "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've had this clock for some time but recently picked up a couple others and thought I would post some images. Common clocks but these are nice examples of the style.

Ingraham ionic candy stripe with original finish, dial, bakelite door knob and original lower tablet.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
This clock was in the Cottone April 2005 auction. Unusual style molding. Original tablets and dial

posted
Ingraham "Grecian" mosaic 8 day time, strike and alarm. Original finish, dial and two "green" labels. Common clock but a nice example.

Derek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Those striped cases are neat. As far as I know Ingraham was the only one to partake of this fashion trend. I don't have any examples of them. It is nice to see yours.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Derek,

Thanks for posting pictures of these lovely clocks!! I like them!

I am a watch person but could get on board with these! They have a whimsical charm to them. Is there a name to this type of clock? Are the stripes on the first one painted or inlay like the others? Any chimes? What would I look for if I wanted to buy one? Thanks

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ingraham made these same case styles in traditional finishes. When a case had the striped finish, it was called a "Mosaic" model.
I have several Ingrahams, but no mosaics. Hmmm.... I just might have to go hunting.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...fabulous display Derek!...particularly like the Ingraham 'Grecian'...as an aside, I've always liked 'working' on Ingraham clocks...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Thanks for everyone's interest and comments. I wanted to do a little closer examination of the moldings before I posted a reply to questions.

It appears the molding was made by glueing cross sections of two different types of wood (or at least two different stained similar woods together) and then cross cut to produce the striped pattern. The cross cut sections were then shaped to the desired size and shape by a router type of machine. It must have been a labor intensive job requiring patience and skill to produce the desired results.

The two upper clocks are 30 hr movements that strike a coil gong wire. The Ingraham "Grecian" stikes a bell.

You see these style clocks periodically on eBay and at Marts. As with any other clock, I would try and locate a model with good labels, original dials and tablets. Good luck and happy hunting!

Derek

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Wow, those are NEAT clocks! What are the approximate dimentions? I have just lately become interested in clocks, specifically, regulators of the long drop kind. Maybe I shouldn't look anymore, my wife will NOT be appreciative! Mad

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sam, I believe they range from about 15 inches for the Grecian to 18 inches for the doric. Very nice clocks indeed. Just the thing to start a clock collection! Wink

Tom

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Very cool clocks! The multicolored effects show off the ingenuity and woodworking skills of the case maker. Cool

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004