Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cottage Clock-Overhaul "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
I purchased this cottage clock in a lot of parts and pieces. The movement had so much rust that the pins let go and the movement fell apart when I was removing it. The case had suffered through 3 paint jobs; pink, beige and a spray of red to top it off. When I first looked at it I though it was due for the scrap heap, but I just couldn’t do it. I hate ending the life of a clock after it has survived so long. The movement is unmarked, so I have no idea who the maker is. 8 tea bags (to remove rust), Circa paint stripper, razor blades, new hands, 4 new bushings and lots of polishing, it came out alright. Unfortunately I the veneer didn’t make the cut, but the pine case looks great on its own with a light provincial pine stain topped off with a satin finish. After doing this one I have to believe that there is no clock can’t be saved! Thanks for listening, my wife didn’t really seemed impressed Smile

Grant Perry

before

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
after

Grant Perry

after

posted
Very nice job Grant. You get a lot of personal satisfaction bringing something back. Is the lower glass original? The clock looks like an early Jerome to me, any opinions from any one else? Anyway, terrific job on the clock.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Great job on the cottage clock Grant.
Looks very good.I recently acquired a cottage clock too, a Waterbury.Not sure what yours is.
How many hours did you put into the clock to restore it.
Are cottage clocks kind of rare, i don,t see many of them.

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi there Derek and Kevin:

Thank you for the reply. Yes, both the upper and lower glass are original.
I would say I invested about 10-15 hours..give or take Smile

Cheers!

Grant Perry

posted
You are a fast worker Grant, would have taken me 10 to 15 weeks.
Nice clock i will post some before pictures, when i get around to it. Smile
I wonder of the rarity of these cottage clocks, don,t see many on Ebay.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Very nice Grant!

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Grant,
Nice job on the resto,I believe your cottage clock to be a Waterbury.I have this same clock with unmarked movement and no label.If you look in Ly's Waterbury book on page 407 you will find similar clocks with the same winding arbor position and glass designs.The Jeromes I have seen usually have the winding arbor at the 6 o'clock postion,some early ones have the arbor positioned at 11 o'clock but have a totally different design movement with a (unless replaced)brass spring.Hope this helps,Kent

Posts: 22 | Location: Camdenton, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: February 19, 2005
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Kent.
Thank you for the tip. Waterbury it is Smile
gp

Grant Perry

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great rescue Grant!! Has anyone spotted that movement in a labeled clock?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
My clock has most of the label intact and looks to be the same movement.Waterbury name can be seen on it.