Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Member Introduction "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Justin J. Miller
posted
I am writing to introduce myself. My name is Justin Miller. I am a new member to chapter 185. I am a long time collector of unique Black Forest clocks. My main focus is on Musical clocks made by Emilian Wehrle in Furtwangen (Trumpeter, Flute, Singing Bird, and Rooster).

My interests also include Black Forest Miniatures, Automatons, and unique BEHA cuckoos.

If anyone has any of the same interests, please let me know.

Justin Miller
NAWCC 88401

Posts: 44 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: February 11, 2005
posted
Welcome Justin to Ch 185, there are many great people here and i am one who likes clocks also.My clock mentor here is Tom Seymour, and Jim Cope here has much knowledge on clocks.
Have a read in the bios section and you will see a good range of people with similar interests.
Enjoy. Smile

posted
Hello Justin
Welcome to this site. If you are like me, you will learn a lot and enjoy the discussions.

I have posted a reply to Bruce Weeks' inquiry about his cuckoo clock. I, also, have a similar clock, of which a photo is posted. If you have information about that one, please let me know.

Thanks
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Pattye,

Thanks for the welcome. I did make a post to Bruces cuckoo... please read it over.

I not only collect the clocks, but early catalogs and anything that has to do with clock making in the Black Forest.

Read it over, if you have any questions about your clock.. post the pics and info here, I would be happy to have a look.

Thanks again!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome aboard Justin,

You bring another facet of this intrigueing hobby to our big table.

We all eagerly look forward to your continued participation.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Hi Justin, and welcome to the Chapter. I was just browsing this side of the forums when I noticed your post. I usually hang-out in the pocket watch section. Again, welcome aboard.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Just recently I've been playing with our ability to post and host custom avatars on-site. We can take practically any image, crop and resize it for you. Your avatar can be of nearly anything you'd like it to be.

Anyone who would like a special avatar made and hosted on-site we'd be happy to put it together for you. Just send the regular size .jpg image to nawcc-ihc@adelphia.net and we'll see what we can do for you.

The large image below is what Justin's Avatar was taken from, he called it "Dumpling Eater" and all I can see is this guy is evidently the top of a clock. Perhaps Jason can tell us more about it and whether of not we captured the flavor. I for one would like to see the entire clock. How about it Justin?

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I would be happy to share…

The clock is a Black Forest “dumpling eater”, also called a “potato eater” in german it is a "Knoedelfresser" .

It was made in the Black Forest of Germany around 1865 to 1870. The clock is a figural Automaton.

Ever quarter hour (or on demand), the potato eater that sits on the top of the clock performs the follow action.

He lifts a potato with his fork to his mouth.

His mouth opens and eyes drop.

The dumpling passes into his mouth, and the fork returns to the plate.

He pauses and chews the dumpling with movements to his mouth and eyes.

This sequence happens two more times (a total of three times every fifteen minutes).

The figure on the top of the clock is carved out of wood, hollowed out, and painted.

The clock was sold by Camer Cuss (A retailer of clocks in England) which is painted on the dial; there is also a label on the back board.

This example sat in the same collection in Schwarzwald, since the early 1940's until I picked it up... the paint is in wonderful condition and is 100% orig. (usualy when you find them they are repainted or in bad shape.

It is a fine example of Black Forest automaton, and a gem in my collection!

posted
A few more pics

posted
Originally it would have had a cord that ran between the spools, but it tended to slip, I replaced it with a large modern band made of rubber, it works much better.

posted

posted
In Germany these were and are called a "Knoedelfresser".

The interesting thing is in German people dont "Fress"... Fress is to eat like a animal, not a person.

These were made as a pun on a certain type of person/class.

I have seen examples of the figure dressed in French clothing, farmers, pirates etc.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Justin,
Let me add my welcome to the others. It is great to have your knowledge and interests in our chapter. Your pictures of the Potato Eater are quite fascinating and unlike anything posted here before. I, for one, but I am sure I am not alone, will be looking forward to your next contribution.

Lots of friendly folk here. As Andy has at the bottom of his posts: So many clocks, so little time!

Thanks for the introduction. I wish more would do that!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Welcome Justim.

And thanks for your reply to my posts about the large cuckoo. I repair a fair amount of modern cuckoos (everybody's got one it seems) and a few 400 day. My main thrust is modern grandfathers and American 'kitchen' clocks. So I don't have a lot of info on historical cuckoos like the one I posted.

I really appreciate your help on this one and look forward to a further post from you with the scan from your catalog.

BTW the birds are slim and sit on brass mounts with headless screws securing them.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
Thanks for the update,

Your cuckoo was made after 1900 but before WWI