Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

N.Y.Standard Watch Co. Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is a clock that I saw at my friend's shop and thought it to be very interesting. I thought you might also enjoy it.

It is a model No.44 Battery powered clock by the N.Y. Standard Watch Co.

This case is in oak, but it was also offered in cherry and mahogany.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The top of the case shows very pleasing carvings. The dial is very plain with arabic numerals and a seconds bit just under the "12".

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The bottom of the case also shows the quality. Although you can't really tell by the picture, the curved pieces are free of the backboard. It looks much nicer "in person".

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement is small and simple and elegant in its own way. Note the posts and black bar behind the top of the movement.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
At the bottom of the movement there is a hipp toggle that is attached to linkage that completes the circuit. As the pendulum swings it brushed by the hipp toggle. When the pendulum slows down enough it catches the notched end of the hipp toggle and raises the linkage to complete the circuit.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
When the circuit is complete is charges the poles at the top and impulse is given to the bar which sends the pendulum back at full swing for another two to three minutes. The clock has 76 beats/min.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The pendulum bob has a unique star shaped piece attached to the center. This shape is also the shape of the rating nut.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is a page from the catalogue. The page is from one of Earhart's books.

It shows this clock and some of its siblings.

Tom

posted
I had a NY Standard Regulator once. It's shown on the back of one of Roy Earhardt's book, and he sold it to me. The Hipp Toggle isa bit touchy. But when the clock ran, it was silent, and very accurate. Mine was about 6 or 7 feet tall, and now resides in the Chicago area.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Very interesting clock Tom, they don,t go cheap i suppose, as they are probaly quite rare.
How many of these have you seen or know of Tom.

Dennis Lockwood

Posts: 13 | Location: Sunny South Carolina in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2009
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Kevin,
I have only seen a few of these, and they weren't for sale, so I do not have a good grip on what they would go for. The prices on the page shown above are from the 70s. They are beautiful well made clocks, and not common. I suspect they are quite high in price.

Tom

posted
There is one for sale now on Ebay. It's missing it's bottom, but otherwise, all there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13854&item=2250430338&rd=1

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003