Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ithaca Farmer #10 - Info "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good evening:
I purchased this clock today and was hoping that someone could tell me what Tran put as a price on these. Yeah I know....a little late to be determining value now, but I liked it Smile
Grant

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6601...eName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Grant, I have loaned out my calendar clock book. I will try to get it back, or get the info tomorrow. Unless someone comes up with the info first!

I like the "buy it because I like it" first, then find out more info!! Wink

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Tom:
Thanks for the quick reply. I really need to start getting some pricing books. I'm starting to use the names Tom Seymour and Tran Duy Ly interchangeably Smile

Grant Perry

posted
Grant, there was one that sold in May '05 in Schmitt's auction for $600 but it had the 30 day double spring movement and Horton sold one in his silent auction July '04 for $535.

I have seen these with and without the carved top. Did they all come with the top carving and some have just been lost or broken over the years or where they produced with and without the carving? Nice clock Grant.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Derek:
Thank you for the reply and the info!
Good question on the top. As I don't have a reference book, I'm not really sure. I think they came with/without a carved top based on the ones that I have come across. That's what I'm hoping Smile See the link for more #10s
http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/manufmodelshow.p...%2010&ordertype=DESC

gp

Grant Perry

posted
In looking at Tran's calander book, it appears that there were actually three versions of the No. 10. An "old Farmer's" No. 10, and then two No. 10 Farmer's. The one pictured in Tran's book with the carved top molding has a different door with round opening for the dials with the other one having square dial openings and a plain top. When you look at the examples on antiqueclockspriceguide.com, there is only one model with the square open that has the carved top. Curious! Maybe someone that collect calendar clocks can answer that question.

In going back your original question, I have the 2000 price guide from Tran and it puts a $550 value on your model. I'm not sure if there is a newer price guide than 2000, if available maybe someone else has it.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Derek, give inflation in the fist half of this decade, I'm sure it has tripled in value (lol for those who think I'm being serious) Smile
Thanks again,
gp

Grant Perry

posted
"Reference Book of Ithaca Calendar Clocks," George Snow, Ithaca, New York, no date shows two No. 10 Farmers. The book dates back to about 1968-69, my Dad wrote his name and the date March 15, 1969 in his copy. Page 23 shows a No.10 with the top ornament, round openings for the dials, triangular pieces at the top and bottom of the dial openings and two larger triangular pieces between the openings. Page 39 shows another No. 10 with square openings and flat top. The illustration for the topless version shows some dark areas (like spandrels) in the corners of each square opening.
There are other models with the same number, but entirely different cases.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Grant
I would have to say there are a few missing parts to your case. JMHO If you look thru the sellars completed sales there are some "just like" orginals and repo's they have some negatives too.

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Gary:
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your opinion. Which pieces do you think are missing? From the listing pics, it doesn't look like there was anything attached to the top. I did check out sellers prior listings but.....
I did look at other 10s on the Antique Price Guide site and saw a few different examples.

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/manufmodelshow.p...%2010&ordertype=DESC

Thanks again,
Grant

Grant Perry

posted
The following posts are scansfrom the George Snow book I mentioned earlier. I had meant to post a scan from the Miller & Miller book 'Survey of American Clocks: Calendar Clocks' Elgin, IL, Antiquitat, 1972, reprinted 1973, but there is a copyright statement indicating that no portion of the book may be reproduced without prior written permssion. I am not qualified to say whether or not copying one page would be within the fair use doctrine.

posted
No. 10 Farmer's (also known as 'Old Farmer's'

posted
No. 10 Farmer's ('New' Farmer's)

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thanks John:
So it looks like the case may not be missing the top, but the dials may not be original....
Thanks again!
Grant

Grant Perry

posted
From these pictures in the price guide, it appears to me that the glass is what is not original. Needs the gold circle with black spandrels in both upper and lower glasses. Like the square box store regulators.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Bruce:
Could be....At this point I'm not sure of anything..... At first I thought the picture depicted this type of dial..

Grant Perry

posted
The picture of old no.10 in the Miller's book shows triangular spandrels in the corners of each dial. The clock in the illustration has a name which I can't decipher in fancy typeface curved around the hole in the dial for the alarm with 'jeweler' underneath the alarm hole. There also was a No.10 which had pillars on each side of the front. The top and bottom of it are different from the other two and there are no spandrels or other decoration on the dial. It's 1/2 inch taller than the regular old 10 and 1/4 inch narrower, same size dials The back on the pillar model is hinged and swings open. I see that the alarm is in the bottom of the case; always wondered what that space was for in the New No.10 at my house which doesn't have an alarm.

posted
Hi Grant,Here is one version of the #10 which I recently bought.I don't know what they book for but as you said I liked it,if it makes you feel better I had to give $600 for this one.Bought it from a fellow local chapter member, came from an estate sale in Kansas.Kent

Posts: 22 | Location: Camdenton, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: February 19, 2005
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Grant, talk to Mike Porter...owner of the ICCCo. He can tell you for sure.

http://ithacacalendarclock.com/

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003