• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Recommendations on Clock Finish "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a large Regulator Clock case being built by a cabinet maker. It is similar to a Waterbury Regulator #7 or #70 in oak. I am looking for reccomendations on how to best finish the wood so it would be finished similar to an original.

Thanks !

Charlie

Posts: 26 | Location: Pigeon Forge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 31, 2002
posted
Charlie....I would think an oil based stain to balance the wood tones would be first followed by orange/amber shellac. Finish the shellac off with a 0000 steel wool and apply a paste wax, buff and hang...

Geo
NAWCC #78594
Local Chapter #76

Posts: 111 | Location: Sellersville, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: December 24, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Charlie, I don't have any tips on finishes for it. I just wanted to say that that is a great looking clock. I hope you post a picture of it when you get it finished.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This is a "poor man's" project. I could not afford to spend $12,000.00+ on an original Waterbury #7 so I drew one up in Corel Draw from pictures in books and off the Web. I adapted the design a little to use carved oak moldings and trims that are available today. It's a cross between a Waterbury and Sempire, using the squareness ot the Sempire's top to make it easier to build. I have a seconds beat, weight driven, cable/crank, movement (which is another "poor man's project) with lyre pendulum awaiting the case. Project should end up at less than $850.00 including the movement. Will post picture of finished clock.. hopefully soon. Charlie

Posts: 26 | Location: Pigeon Forge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 31, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Charlie,
That is a great looking clock. A fantastic heirloom! Waterbury made some very distinguised clocks. You made an excellent choice as a basis for your designs.

Can't wait to see your finished product.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Tom,

Just finished the clock... Picture is not too good, clock is still hanging in the workshop. I gave up on the cabinet maker and built my own. It's made of solid oak, 7 feet tall and must weigh about 175 pounds. It was so heavy I designed the top "bonnet" to be removable (slides foreward) and to gain access to the mounting brackets (heavy duty). To hang it I have to remove the door.

John Marshall gave me detailed instructions on how to finish it to match the original Waterbury.

I'll post some better pictures when I get it moved upstairs.

Charlie

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Charlie,

That is a fabulous clock. You did a great job! benerations will appreciate your efforts. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
I'm in shock... I've been regulating my new "Waterbury Regulator" clock and I had it ticking along with an Atomic Clock. So I hooked up the MicroSet Timer Web Site Link. I was amazed to see that a 24 hour test showed it to be off only .1 second per YEAR. Of course it could not maintain this rate for a whole year, but I'm extremely pleased considering that the movement is a converted-modified seconds beating Hermle grandfather clock movement. (plates cut down to be a time only movement)

Charlie

IHC Member 43
posted
Charles, Fabulous clock, I can't wait to see more pictures

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Here's a slightly better picture.

Charlie