• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Larkin Soap Co clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My daughter has taken a keen interest in the Larkin Soap Company, Buffalo, NY. In her searches, she told me that they contracted with Seth Thomas for mantle clocks for their catalog.

Does anyone have a pic of one of their clocks. I'd like to begin searching for one for her, and I would like to get an idea what markings to look for, that is, if they were marked.

Thanks,

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tom,
I could find nothing in Bernie Edwards book on Clock and Watch Advertising, and nothing in the Bulletin index search.

There is, however, an ebay acution that may have some of the information your daughter wants, and may be a good addition to her collection.

The auction is HERE

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
HiTom, Thanks for the info. What I was wondering was if the clocks were marked with Larkin advertising. I guess they were not. It looks like they werre normal clocks given out as premiums.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi Tom,
There is an egroup for Larkin Soap Company, do a search for larkincompany (all one word) while you are signed in at yahoogroups if you are already a member. (I am currently having a problem with the direct link to that site). I just looked in there and saw a tall case clock in the photo album, but didn't find any others. I know they sold a lot of soap as well as furniture and household items. My main interest in them is the Frank Lloyd Wright designed administration building, and several houses he designed in the Buffalo, NY area for some of the people who ran the Larkin Company.

Click here for info on the administration building.

Click here for info on history of Larkin Administration building.

Click here for Frank Lloyd Wright in Buffalo, NY info.

Andy

1906 Larkin Building

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Here is a picture of a recent product made by Bulova. It is a miniature replica of a tall case clock in the Darwin D Martin house in Buffalo, NY. The clock was designed for this particular house by Frank Lloyd Wright. I have pictures of the real clock in a book if I can ever find it. The house is undergoing restoration. I don't know if the original clock or a replica (or either) will be in the house. Martin was one of the big wigs at Larkin.

Darwin D Martin house website.

Andy

Bulova miniature replica of Wright designed clock

posted
Thank you Andy. I will let me daughter know. I am also interested in the Frank Lloyd design buildings. My house is a FLW design--his "Americana" design done in the late 1940's. My home was built in 1948. It has been altered slightly, but still has many of the unique embellishments that Wright designed in.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi Tom,
Here is a link to a website on Wright's designs. This page shows the Pennsylvania buildings, other pages show other states.

Click here, Wright designs in PA.

Andy

Is this a picture of your neighbor's house? Big Grin

Kentuck Knob, Chalkhill, PA

posted
Hi Andy, THanks for the link. I wish I could claim that is my neighbor's house, but I don't live that far out in the woods. I have been there though and walked on that patio. No waterfall flowing under my house though.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
The one above is "Kentuck Knob" (1953) in Chalkhill, PA (near Uniontown). Below is Fallingwater (1935) near Ohiopyle, PA.

Big Grin Andy Big Grin

Fallingwater