Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pequegnat 'Flagships' "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...would invite any and all who own Pequegnat clocks to display their 'flagship' 'pieces or clocks...for the uninitiated, Arthur Pequegnat was, as history would bear out, if not the earliest, the most successful producer of Canadian clocks and timepieces in Canada from 1904 through 'til l942 when due to the war and the lack of brass his Company closed...a Swiss watchmaker, he came w/his family to Canada in 1874 and settled in what is now Kitchener, Ontario Canada...his clocks were renowned for both the quality of their movements and their casings...the flagship of my collection, is the Arthur Pequegnat 'Moncton' 15 day 'Graham deadbeat escapement' often found in the 1920s and 30s in public buildings and railroad stations across Canada...Jim C

[This message was edited by Jim Cope on September 02, 2003 at 1:09.]

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Mr.Cope,
Finally the "Clock Guys" are starting to back the "Rolls Royces" out of the garage again, let alone one of my dream clocks. I dream of having this beauty on my wall someday facing noless what I believe to be its American counterpart Seth Thomas #2 requlator. The hypnotic crisp ticking of this pair would certainly put someone into a permanant horological trance. Arthur Pequegnats don't come easy on this side of the border, so tease us with some more. Great clock from the "Great White North".

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim,
That is a very desireable clock. I have been trying to land a Pequegnat for some time now. Maybe at the Great Lakes Regional this weekend!

I was fortunate enough to have been able to attend the NAWCC seminar in Dearborn in 1986. It was on Canadian made clocks and was presented by Jane Varkaris and James Connell.

Their books, "The Canada and Hamilton Clock Companies" by Jane Varkaris and James Connell, and "The Pequegnat Story, The Family and the Clocks" by Jane and Costas Varkaris are excellent reading and I would recommend them to everyone.

While some of the models look as similar as models between two American companies, some have a distinctly northern flavor.

They are worth a look, and I would encourage anyone with pictures of theirs to post them.

Thanks Jim for the start of an interesting thread!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nice clock JIm,If i ever come across one of those clocks at a good price, i would like one.
Did you have to restore this clock much Jim?

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...no Kevin...the piece, despite the pic, came in museum quality condition...just rubbed the case with a quality furniture formulation and cleaned/oiled the movement (both of which I do annually) and that was it...of course I paid a premium over book for the clock and there was no 'dickering' over price but then I wasn't surprised considering it's condition...Jim

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Jim,
That is a great clock. I don't know any thing about Mr. Peguenat is their a possibility of a picture of the movement and a little history for those of us south of the border. Thanks for sharring the picture

Rich Kuhn Eek

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC Member 128623
IHC Member 155

watchmakerfinds@yahoo.com

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Rich...am going to move up the 'Moncton's' annual physical scheduled for November to this week and post a pic/some pics of the Graham 'deadbeat' movement...best regards!...Jim C