Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Poole clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I just have to show this! I've been searching for this clock for so long...I finally aquired it from e-bay. This was manufactured in Weedsport, NY and is a younger sibling of the Poole Clocks that we are more familiar with as being battery operated/hip-toggle clocks.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Hi Greg,
Didn't know they made clocks in Weedsport but there is a little Italian resturant there that is worth driving across the country for. Smile
I always plan my trips to the north east to include an overnight stay at Weedsport so we can eat there.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
This one happens to be May 1954. This particular model came in Red, White, and Yellow...as well as its sister model the "Automatic Defroster". The photo shows an original store poster with the red "defroster" model attached.
Arthur Poole invented the "Poole Clock". It operated on 3 "D" sized batteries and the Hipp/Toggle mechanism. In short... the batteries operated the pendulum and in turn the pendulum operated the "works"... rather than the opposite of which we are most familiar. Poole began opperations in New York City, then moved to Ithaca, NY under Morse Industries. Weedsport Mfg. bought the "Poole" division and moved the operations to Weedsport, NY. While there operations were under the names: Poole, Barr, Poole Time Products. During the "Barr" time period the company began to use electric motors instead of the original battery operated mechanisms and by the time the name was changed to "Poole Time Products" were fully motor driven. In the late 50's the company again changed hands(Solays Industries) and moved to Auburn, NY using the name "Poole Time Products". There the company finally found its demise. Most people are not interested in the clocks after the move to Barr and less after Poole Time Products. I live approx. in the middle of Ithaca, NY and Weedsport, NY, therein lies my interest.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice catch Greg. I don't know much about Poole clocks. What range of models did they have?

Anyone else out there have some examples?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The original "Pooles" or the ones made by "Barr"?

The photo below shows most of the ones mfg. by Barr(Company photo). There are others of course.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Poole of Ithaca, mfg. the clocks shown below. There are a few not shown, the most obvious is a square 14'/18" Wall clock that came in either white or black. Will upload photo soon.