Internet Horology Club 185
Seth Thomas 1895 Locomotive Clock

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/454107441

August 16, 2009, 14:20
Ken Knight
Seth Thomas 1895 Locomotive Clock
I recently acquired this B&O Locomotive clock. What makes it more unique is the documentation and history I also received.

I am not sure if this clock is valuable, but I would like to see it on display where more than myself would see it. I am posting all the pictures and other documentation in my picture file.

Can anyone tell me more about it? Also, is anyone interested in trading for it? I am interested in acquiring a RR grade watch.

If I am out of line asking this sort of question in this forum, please let me know.

August 16, 2009, 15:13
Tom Brown
Hi Ken

I honestly don't know anything about your clock but I would be interested in a trade. Maybe someone can give us an idea of the value but I don't have anything like that & would like too.

Tom
August 16, 2009, 17:41
Lindell V. Riddle

Ken,

The clock is beautiful, something any of us would be proud to own. If you post the documentation you have Tom and others of our members are very good at researching such things.

Lindell

Wink

August 17, 2009, 00:14
Jerry King
Ken, what a great looking clock and I'm sure that you won't have any trouble making a trade....and to answer your question, you are not out of line in asking the question regarding making a trade....

You may want to consider placing the clock in our Members Only Watch & Clock Auction once the research has been completed....It will be interesting to see the complete picture & documentation package you have yet to post....

Thanks for showing your clock to us it is a very interesting piece....

Regards,
Jerry
August 21, 2009, 19:52
Ken Knight
I'll just go ahead and post the remainder of my pictures and documentation on this clock without further comments.

August 21, 2009, 19:53
Ken Knight
Side view with balance wheel

August 21, 2009, 19:54
Ken Knight
Back Plate

August 21, 2009, 19:55
Ken Knight
Clock Smith information. Tip City is in Ohio.

August 21, 2009, 19:56
Ken Knight
Here is the locomotive that housed the clock.

August 21, 2009, 19:56
Ken Knight
The ST catalog front page.

August 21, 2009, 19:57
Ken Knight
The clock listing in the ST catalog

August 21, 2009, 19:58
Ken Knight
Here is the note that came with the clock.

August 21, 2009, 19:59
Ken Knight
This is a picture of "Snody" Robert Snodgrass, to whom the clock was presented.

August 21, 2009, 20:05
Ken Knight
Letter from the B&O Railroad.

August 21, 2009, 20:09
Tom Brown
Ken is it still available?

Tom
August 21, 2009, 20:36
Jerry King
Ken that is a very nice Seth Thomas and History package you have and one that I think would be very valuable....

You won't have any trouble making a trade for a RR grade watch depending on the watch you are looking for....

Thanks for posting all the history you have of the clock, it is very interesting indeed....

Good Luck with it and I hope you find what you are looking for....

Regards,
Jerry
August 22, 2009, 15:28
Ken Knight
The inscription on the bezel reads:

Presented by D O Mock to Snody

That ties in the information in the letter to the picture, and how the history of the clock came together.

Sorry I missed that detail.
August 22, 2009, 21:27
Roger J. Nolfe
That is a beautiful clock. If it were me, I would keep it and spend a few hundred for a RR grade watch. I think your clock is worth a lot more than a RR grade watch. If you don't want to keep it, I think you would be better off selling the clock and buying yourself a nice RR watch. You'd probably have $$$ left over. Just my opinion.
August 22, 2009, 21:45
Jerry King
That's my thoughts too, Roger.... Take it on the Antique Road Show and let them appraise it, bet it would go for..well it would be surprising with all the documentation to go along with it....a far sight more than a nice RR watch....

Just my opinion and I am no expert....

Regards,
Jerry
August 24, 2009, 11:05
Paul Kattner
Have you thought about contacting the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore?

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum

They have several locomotives that would have been in service around the turn of the century that this clock might be an appropriate addition to.

Paul Kattner
August 26, 2009, 09:12
Ken Knight
I contacted them sometime ago, but they want me to donate the clock and associated documentation. If I were a wealthy person, I would more in likely be happy to do that. But being a poor Clocksmith, that just doesn't work. :-)