Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

DETEX Watchman's Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have had this Detex Watchman's Clock around for awhile. I was reminded of it by the recent Bulletin article.

In the following pictures you will notice that:
1) I haven't cleaned it up yet.
2) The movement is rather well protected.
3) It has some interesting features.

The first picture shows the clock in its leather case, and one of the key stations that would be spread around the watchman's route. Each key had its own mark that it made on the paper. Thus the boss could tell when the watchman was at each station during his watch.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
With the case out of the leather you see that it is very solid. The hub that holds the paper spells out "DETEX. The cutout for the paper had to be specific to this brand of clock, as it fits around the letters.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The top of the case has the unique hole for the key used to mark the paper.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
With the movement inner case removed from the outer case, and the dial removed..... you still do not see the movement. This is as far as I have gotten. At a first look I'm not sure how to remove the movement from this inner case.

Who has worked on these that might like to save me some trial and error?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Tom,
An interesting piece. Believe I see a date that puts the watch at the end of WWII. Don't expect much fine metal to have been used since that stuff was being used for war materials.
Any idea on how often the paper was changed? How often do you think the watchman had to turn his clock in for inspection?

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003