• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chelsea Ship's Bell troubles... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Help! I've just aquired a 1906 or so, 4.5" Ship's Bell clock, and it's in great shape. But, about every three hours or so it will stop at five-'til. Always five minutes before the hour. It is at this point that I also hear something like a small "muffled click" from inside, like something is cocking the strike mechanism. And it is at this point that it seems to get hung up.

So, please, the likely causes and cures. The clock was last serviced in 2004 and then sat around on a shelf, unwound since then, with probable drying lubricants. No dust what so ever inside or out though. ??

Thanks, Ted

Posts: 5 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: September 24, 2008
posted
Ted, did you get a reply to your question? Do you have any experience in repairing ship's bell movements? Something in the pre-strike setting is hanging up, but it is hard to diagnose without seeing the picee, or a picture of the movement.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Ted,

It may be that the click you are hearing is the warning sequence starting. The best way I know to describe it is just before the top of the hour there is a wheel in the striking mechanism that is released briefly, rotates about 1/4 turn, then held by a lock lever until the time is at the top where it is then released to do the actual striking.

Perhaps the wheel locks and binds the continued rotation of the time train? It doesn't seem likely but I bet there is something in the warning sequence which is causing it.

It will require having the movement out to be able to slowly advance the minute hand to see what is actually binding up. A few photos may help see how the wheels are arranged....
Hope this helps.
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005