• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Locomotive clock? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I purchased this clock some years ago and was told that it was a locomotive clock. It is one of the loudest clocks I've ever heard. On the back is a logo for the Illinois Central Railroad. Is it really a locomotive clock?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Here is a closeup:

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
And the back:

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Well, taht is splendid!

Do you want to sell it since you cannot determine what/where it came from! Ha.

No I can't give you much help, but with the double screw attachments I bet it went into a loco to securely keep it from falling off. Why else would there be two?

The label give credence to the idea more credence also. The loud striking would indicate that it maybe would be so to be heard above the loco noise. What do you think?

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Well, it doesn't strike at all. It just ticks like a time bomb!
Thanks a lot for your help!

Steve

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Steve, I have never heard of a locomotive equipped with a clock, also all trainmen were required to carry a railroad approved watch. Maybe your clock was used in a railroad passenger car?

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
That is an interesting idea! I did see a clock years ago that, I was told, was used as a locomotive clock. The provenance was right (it belonged to an old railroad man) and it had the same sort of case as the old air and steam gauges. But it doesn't make much sense, does it? Thanks a lot!

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Steve:

Steam locomotives in the late 1800's definitely had clocks. I've been researching one for 26 years now and will publish my findings in December probably on my Tales from the Rails thread. I have a Seth Thomas like this one in a nickel case, and it is probably one of the loudest ones in my collection.

Buchaneer

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks, Larry. I guess that answers my question!

posted
I look forward to reading your article.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Steve:

I have posted a thread on Locomotive Clocks on my Tales from the Rails category.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
That is fascinating, Larry. I used to have some brass gagues, too, but I'm not sure what I did with them now.