• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Geo Harvey, Stirling Bracket? Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This clock was recently discovered in my father-in-law's loft. Nobody knows who or where it came from! On the dial is marked 'Geo Harvey' and below 'Stirling' - although the paint has faded, the marks of the name can still be made out when taken out of the case. The striking mechanism still works, but the clock will not wind as the 'cat gut' has broken. I would be very grateful if anyone could help identify the age and/or give me a clue if it might work if the gut were replaced. How is tension maintained in the winding mechanism?

Thanks in anticipation, as I would be thrilled if I could get it working again!

Posts: 28 | Location: Glascow in Scotland | Registered: October 21, 2009
posted
Winding mechanism side

posted
The case front - approx 50 cm high, 30cm wide and 20cm deep

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
quote:

what a lovely clock!!!! simple,yet elegant with the Scottish Thistle ,George Harvey,circa 1834 Stirling Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
GREETINGS JOHN, YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL AND VERY COLLECTABLE CLOCK. THE TENSION ON THE WINDING MECHANISM IS MAINTAINED BY THE MAINSPRING CANTAINED IN THE BARREL,IT IS SET UP BY WINDING THE BARREL 2 TO 2 1/2 FULL TURNS, THEN YOU WIND THE FUSSE TO FILL THE THE GROVES WITH CORD OR CHAIN.IN OTHER WORDS THERE ARE 2 PLACES TO WIND BUT YOU ONLY WIND THE FUSSE WEEKLY OR 2 OR 3 DAYS LONGER. TO WIND THE BARREL THE DIAL MUST BE REMOVED. THE VALUE OF YOUR CLOCK COULD BE 2 TO 3,OOO BRITISH POUNDS. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Reminds me of my old home in Easter-Ross on the shores of the beautiful Moray Firth. My uncle Hugh MacAngus used to have a news and toy shop in Johnstone many years back, and was an early SNP member who stamped English notes with "Home Rule for Scotland" The beleaguered lady sitting with her dog, and signaling I think for assistance by the waving of the saltire is an allegory that indicates the same political point of view. Just Brilliant for sure and shows a deep and abiding love for Scotland

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
I understand that Sir George Harvey (1806-1876), President of the Royal Scottish Academy was the son of George Harvey, watch and clockmaker of St Ninian's, Stirling. Perhaps he gained his artistic skill and love of art whilst painting or observing the painting of his father's clock faces?

posted
Hello Jack

My name is Simon George Harvey from Auckland New Zealand, and I am the great great great grandson of George Harvey the clockmaker from Stirling. My wife and I have been there recently tracing our family roots, which in turn has sparked our interest in your post of 26 Sept 2012. Could you please advise whether you have been able to repair the clock referred to, and where it is now.

Many thanks
Simon Harvey

Posts: 1 | Location: Newbury in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 29, 2013
IHC Member 1016
posted
Wow, that's worth preserving. Vey, very nice.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
In reply to Simon George Harvey - apologies for not noticing your post until 8 months later!

Yes, I still have the clock and am beginning to work on it gradually and very carefully. I am delighted that you got in touch with me!!

If you wish to contact me directly, my email address is jack.winch@ntlworld.com

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
please keep posting updates as you restore this little beauty of a clock from my long,long ago Bonnie Scottish homeland, Smile and please post a closeup of the painted tablet portion of the dial alone. Big Grin

posted
Thanks, Tom, for your kind words!

Here's a photo of the dial alone which, just possibly, could have been painted by the clockmaker's son, Sir George Harvey (RSA) a painter of some repute.

Perhaps you were wanting a close up of just the top semi-circular section?

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
that picture will do just fine,and thank you Jack,I appreciate that very much,as I do the painted panel on the dial,which is to me horologically and politically just awesome and amazing Big Grin . My uncle Hugh MacAngus was an early Scots Nats supporter who ran a news and toy shop in Johnstone, and took great joy in rubber stamping English pound notes with"HOME RULE FOR SCOTLAND" Wink To a Hilton of Cadboll Easter-Ross raised ,Inverness born highlander like me, how could that dial be any more perfect? In the book "My Uncle George" chapter 8 is dedicated to describing my great grandfather Uisdean Mac Angus and his battle to preserve Scottish Gaelic and culture against overwhelming odds ,just as the lass in the tablet faces,protected by her shield,the Lion Rampant of Scotland, and proudly waving the Scottish Saltire flag,it moves me greatly !!!

posted
Thanks, Tom!

Incidentally, I live about 6 miles from Johnstone, where your uncle Hugh MacAngus had his shop...

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
my brother lives in "Kirky"and other family in Tain,Hilton of Cadboll, Alness,Aberdeen,Kinlochleven,Inverness,Birmingham,etc.etc. Big Grin

posted
The fusee on the movement side is now fixed by re-attaching a collet with a taper pin to the winding arbor. It now winds up appropriately.

The spring barrel has two sets of three holes at the edge, through one set of which the gut seems to be attached. Can anyone help with a way of attaching the new cat-gut with the front and back plates still attached?