• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longcase striking problem "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My longcase clock (Charles Taylor, Kinross, Scotland - 1836) strikes correctly from 1 to 9, then strikes 1 for 10, 1 for 11 and then no strike for 12. Can anyone suggest where the fault might be, or was it a 'fix' to stop too many strikes at an inconvenient hour of the night?

Posts: 28 | Location: Glascow in Scotland | Registered: October 21, 2009
posted
Can you provide a picture of the movement, or at least describe the striking mechanism. Is it a rack strike count?

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
wow, that sounds like the same problem I am having with a small carriage clock (rack and snail). It strikes good at 1, but when it gets to 2, it chimes 1 and it will do it again at 3. Its regains its strike at 4...

I know this is not a longcase, but it sounds like we are having the same problem..

sorry about the photo being upside down (its right when I upload it )

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
In the case of your tall case clock, I would check the tension of the spring that pushes on the rack. Another thing to check would be the lift on the hook that counts off the hours to see if it is clearing the rack as it tries to fall away.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010