Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1889 Book of Recipes (Clock/Watch) Take a Look! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Cleaning a Clock 1889 Style

Can you tell that they were not driving cars back then?

Clocks - To clean: Cheap clock movements may be cleaned without taking them down, by thoroughly washing them by agitation in a benzine bath, This should not be done in a room where there is fire or gas or lamp burning, as the vapor is liable to ignite and cause an explosion. A heavier product of petroleum is less dangerous, that known as gasoline being well suited to the purpose. Even this should be handled with care. The lighter petroleum products are not only highly inflammable but explosive and dangerous.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I had an old gent bring in a clock several years ago. He said that he remembered his mother taking the movement out every year, and dunking the whole thing in kerosene every year. He said that it remained there for a couple of days...and then she would dry it(in the sun) oil it and put it back in the clock.

I have to tell you that this clock did not need any bushings or even springs...I just cleaned it polished the pivots and put it back in the clock, it ran like a charm.

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
I had forgotten about the kerosene method. What I heard is that one takes a feather and paints the kerosene liberally all over the movement, Another method I may be mis-remembering is to put a bottle cap with kerosene in it in the bottom of the case. All that kerosene must be what made some of the old paper dials so dark and greasey looking.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002