Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ansonia regulator on Ebay-what say you? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi folks
Does this item currently on eBay look like an authentic original to you? It is auction #6550907677.

Something doesn't look quite right but it could only be the pristine dial.

Thanks for your opinions

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Pattye,
The dial certainly makes it look too new, but from the e-Bay pictures the case looks original enough. Do you think the transfer is original?? It is a nice looking clock Cool
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Pattye,I'm sure that old Ansonia has probably been enhanced but all that being said its a nice looking clock with a beautiful case.Unless you're a purist who insists on everything being historically correct thats not a bad clock.I recently purchased an Ansonia identical to that at Merritts.It had a paper dial replacement but it also had a beautiful case like the one in your picture and it had the original pendulum.I took it home,rebuilt the movement,waxed and steel wooled the case and it looks gorgeous.
My advice,buy what appeals to you.Don't get too caught up in all this historical hype.If you're going to spend four or five thousand dollars on a clock thats a different story,thats an investment but a two or three hundred dollar clock,if it appeals to you,the **** with it,buy it.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye,
I agree with Grant. I think everything looks right except for the dial. The picture below is from Tran's Ansonia book. It is the closest example to yours that I can find. The dial is the biggest difference.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
OHi PATTYE, It just looks too good. If you enlarge the pic of the case on ebay, check out where the wood pieces join- no separations anywhere. also the movement looks very much like a reproduction. No signs of age on the surface. Dial definately not original. hands much too new looking. Merritts sells repro long drops with cases that look exactly like that one. I know I'm sticking my neck out here but I hate to see someone get stuck. If I'm wrong, please someone tell me why, If I'm right, tell me also why!
Respectfully, Mike One more thing, go to merritts web site and take a look at the case of their repro regulator A drop octagon.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Michael et al:
The movement is stamped Ansonia, so would it be a repro?
I agree that the joints are tight, but the wood does look aged. I did think that the transfer looked too good. The seller did say that the dial was a replacement, but the picture is too far back for me to comment on the hands.....
IMO I think it is an Ansonia with a new dial and likely new glass, but just my opinion, and that is not worth much!!! With e-Bay we often take chances, sometimes with good results, sometimes....not so good Big Grin

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Michael,
You bring up some good points. Maybe some measurements would help to see if the one Pattye is interested in is the same as the repro. I noticed that in my Merritts catalog the long drop does not have the Ansonia "A" in a square logo, and it does have the more accurate two piece dial, which Pattye's does not have. The reproduction also does not have the black ring around the dial. This would point more toward Pattye's clock being original, with a new dial.

To me the movement looks old. The wires, and clicks, nuts on the posts etc. look like they have some age. I think the movement has been cleaned, and the pictures show a lot of reflected light, but don't (to me) look uniform enough to be new.

This is a much tougher call when it is not "in hand". Lots of other opinions are welcomed.

Does anyone know if Merritts used the Ansonia style movement in their edition of the long drop?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This one is listed as 32" x 17".
Merritts lists theirs as 28 1/8 x 15 3/4.
The Ansonia catalog lists their long drops as being 32inches high.

Tom

posted
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have emailed the seller for more information and have had no response. Also, in looking at the seller's other auctions which are higher end clocks, I am not familiar with any of them so can't draw any conclusions that way.

It certainly is nice looking though

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi All, To see the genuine article see my Pub' Clock Winding Post/s on the members discussion site. If you want any measurements ,I may be able to force myself to go and get them and maybe have another pint while i'm at it. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Hi Ged,

Thanks for replying. I love the pub clock! The two piece dial certainly makes a big difference. What is your gut feeling about the auction one?

Pattye

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello Again, I am of the opinion it is a repro' However if you like it, go for it if it's cheap enough. They don't make too much over here, £200 at most, about $400 for a real one. Shipping would put another £100 on inc making wooden crate. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Pattye, i would say if you like it go for it.If in the future you find the correct dial you could replace it, to make it original, if that is what you want.Overall a nice clock.I like the style and it looks good to me. Smile
Just my opinion. Smile

posted
Hi pattye, I have to stick my neck out a little more. I still think the case is not old. The way I see it is- if we buy things that are misrepresented on ebay, by the sellers ignorance or deliberate false description, we only encourage it to continue. Have you received an answer from the seller? Has anyone else seen merritts repro drop octagons? What do others on the board think? The movement might be 'right', but I have strong doubts about the case. Mike

posted
Hi Mike and all

Thanks for your responses. I received a email from someone telling me that the clock is a repro from the 1970's. I really don't know if it was the seller. Merritt's current one doesn't match up. I am ready to abandon this clock and look for one that seems more appropropriate. There are just too many red flags.

Thanks for all your responses. This is a wonderful board!

Pattye

posted
Hi PATTYE, You will have plenty of opportunities to buy clocks that are 'right'. I think you are smart to pass this one up. Buying a clock that you know isn't original and wanting to restore it is great, but buying one represented as 'original c. 1905' and has alot of as you say 'red flags' is something I pass on. Mike