Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Train Station Clock - The Rest of the Story "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I am hoping to track down some stories concerning the clock in the train station.

I understand it used to be in the city hall of one of the cities nearby. The city hall was torn down and the gentleman who owns the station bought the clock and installed it where it is now.

I don't know if the story is true, or if the station had another clock. Or if the tower was built for this movement. There is a shop in the station, but the owner, with all the answers, has not been there at the same times I have checked. My next quest is to track down the history and to take some photos of the clock, and find pictures of it in its original home, once I know where that is.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I finally got a chanace to talk to Al Ketchum, the owner of the station. We had a great chat, and I am going to get together with him in a bit to get the full history. In brief, the clock was on two municipal buildings in Salem. It is believed to be a Seth Thomas movement which has been electrified. The tower was not part of the station, but added specifically for saving this clock.
Photos of the original station as well as photos of the original buildings the clock was housed in will follow my next visit.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tom:

I don't know of any Railroad Station Tower clocks in Canad. But I do remember seeing one in Portland, Oregon's station. It was lit up at night, whether it is still mechanical would have to be researched. I remember seeing Elgin clocks on the four corners of Union Station in Chicago. Lancaster station in Pennsylvania, had one, and there is one at Grand Central Station in New York. These are all I can think of at the moment. I have worked on two Tower clocks in Calgary Alberta, a Seth Thomas in Calgary's City Hall, that was installed around 1911, and an E. Howard that was originally installed in the Bank of Commerce building, and was rescued by our local chapter and was installed in the coupala from James Short an old-school in Calgary that had been torn down.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Tom,
That is so wonderful! I'm so pleased to know that some of our "Gems" have "Friends" to save them.

I can't wait for you to add to the information, and pretty nice pictures too!

Thank you,

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
OH, and by the way, I thought this "tower" clock was so cool.

It's in, or was in, Colorado

Sheila

clock Colo50

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tom:

I Found a Canadian Postcard with a Clock attached to its building, the depot floor the British Columbia Electric Railway. The building and clock are now long gone.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Nice picture Larry.

I have more information on the clock and some old pictures of the station. I will post them as soon as I can get the information in a presentable order.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
1871 – Salem, OR Marion County Court House was built and housed the clock. The best information I have is that it is a Howard movement. There are no marks anywhere on the movement today. It originally had a wooden dial.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
In 1953 the old building was demolished and the clock was moved across the street to the Salem city Hall.

Some of the pictures will have a reflection on them, as they were framed and hanging on the wall.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
In 1969 a new civic center was built and the old City Hall was torn down in 1972. The clock remained in storage in Salem until 1975 or 76. At that time the clock was bought by George Schmidt. He then owned the train station in Mount Angel, about 14 miles from Salem. He built a 40 ft. tower at one end of the station to house the clock.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Some history of the train station itself. This picture shows an early crew.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
There is no date on this picture, but there was a card attached to the back. The card is pictured, the text, as best I can make of it is:

Sebastian Englehart seated on right hand car w/ black hat and handlebar mustache.
Anton Englehart and son living in Mount Angel.
Alicia Hull, granddaughter living in Washington.
Anton is her uncle
Her brother living in Mount Angel.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Another old picture of the station.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This picture is dated 1912. The city of Mount Angel is seen in the background. St. Mary's Church is seen prominently and the hill in the background is the home of the Benedictine Abby.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The first thing one comes across as you climb up to the clock is the bell.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Movement picture 1
The actual dial are larger than the openings on the inside.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Movement Picture 2

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Movement Picture 3

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Movement Picture 4

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Movement Picture 5

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The clock is currently being run by the small silver electric motor about the size of a silver dollar as seen in this picture.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
As one climbs to the clock, the original end of the station is visible.

The 7x2 paned window on the original end of the station is now on the end of the tower.

MANY THANKS TO AL KETCHUM for all the information and access to the clock.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The station today. Notice the new ties lying alongside the track.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This picture taken from the same spot as the one above, just facing the opposite direction. The crew replacing the ties has just about reached the station.

The small print on the sign is: Willamette Valley Railway Co.

Tom

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Great story and pictures, Tom. Thank you so much for sharing. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

I echo Phil's thanks!

Smile

Posts: 5234 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Nice piece of horological research you've pulled together Tom.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wonderful topic Tom!

Thanks a million for this and for all you do.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello i am very sorry to butt in, but can someone please help me contact Tom Semour..Its about him posting something about a Michael Fenton wanting to know more on Thomas Royle, Clockmaker in Whitehaven. It was posted Oct. 11 2006. Please help me?.Thankyou. My e-mail add is ll.borrett@ntlworld.com

Posts: 13 | Location: Sidcup, Kent England | Registered: January 02, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Lee, I am sending your message and email address along to Tom. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Lee, I will get with you as soon as possible. Thanks for your post, and "butting in" is always welcome!! Big Grin

Phil, thanks for stepping in. I was out of town for four days, and then on our first day back we lost power after a strong wind storm. I have the email and will respond ASAP.

We went to a great antique show in Puyallup WA and I managed to snag some great watches, and chat meet a number of interesting people including Tony Knorr a great watchmaker and teacher of watch repair for a local college and AWI Suitcase classes.

Tom

posted
Phil many thanks for your help and Tom thanks for your message Best Regards Lee

Posts: 13 | Location: Sidcup, Kent England | Registered: January 02, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Lee,
I do not know how to contact Michael Fenton. The inquiry I got was forwaded to me from a third party and that email is no longer on my computer.

I wish I could have helped more.

Tom