Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

SECRETS OF THE WOODEN CLOCK "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I saw this clock at an estate sale. I love the wood and the fact that it is a working clock doesn't hurt.

It uses a typical 8 day American clock mainspring. It is concealed in a wooden hub.

It was made in 1990.

What do you think?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
view 2

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
view 3

Tom

posted
Tom,
I am intrigued by your clock. Was this something that was commercially produced?
I am also curious about the shape of the teeth on the escape wheel. What type escapement does it have? Could this humble clock have a pinwheel escapement?
If this is a one off or a production clock, someone spent a lot time and effort on it. It is a thing of great beauty.
I think you made a great find and.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Best Regards,
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dick,
I really don't know much (any) of the history of the clock. There is an inscription on the back that gives 1990 as the year it was made, and the maker's name.

As for the escapement, I will take some pictures of it. - worth a thousand words.

The shape of the escape wheel teeth remind be of the clubtooth escape wheel.

Pictures soon. Stay tuned.

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting,

We await the details...

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I am making a photo album for revealing the "secrets" of the wooden clock. Look for that as a new post since I can't add a photo album as a response.

Tom

posted
This clock is most likely made by Wayne Westphale. who made an unknown number of various models sold in various venues under the label "Contemporary Time", P.O.Box 4883, Steamboat Springs, CO. The model shown was called "Mantel";he was asking $2,250.00 finished and $355.00 for the kit version. This was around 1980-90. I saved all of his materials and would gladly email to anyone interested.Such beautiful work it was - and still is! Helmut Reinhardt

Posts: 2 | Location: Annandale, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: February 28, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Helmut.
Thanks you very much for the great information. It always adds to the enjoyment of a piece to know some of its history. I don't know if this was one finished by him or the kit version. There is not label.

It it a beautiful chunk of wood. Great to look at, and it keeps good time!!

Welcome to IHC, and thanks again for the info!!

Tom