Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Most Interesting e Howard Safe Timer "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I was fortunate to acquire this rare E Howard Yale Safe Timer in a recent IHC185 Auction from our very own Leonard Abbot. This is a triple redundant timer with all the mechanicals intact and working. As with other designs of Mr. Howard's this was designed as a triple-redundant timer that allowed any number of from 1 to 3 of the timers to swing a bell crank that clears blockage of an access hole to successfully unlock the safe or vault door. That means it is "Triple Redundant" and there is very small chance that all three times can fail. Furthermore, the timer has up to 72 hours delay timing capability.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is reported to have been used by the Bank of Hawaii and removed in 1941 after Pearl. All the mechanisms work well, and it deserves a most careful cleaning, especially #207 which was "loose" when I received it. Close-up these are very fine time pieces, with a very heavy duty train that allows using 5/8" wide Main Springs strong enough to switch open the lock-safe mechanism.

Note the little hole in the brass crossbar where the "72" is showing now, is the "peep hole" through which one could see the steel engagement pin mounted at the "40" hour position as it has swung down to engage the lock safe mechanism. At that time, the clock would be nearly fully unwound so that the top black "pointer" used to set the time delay would see the "0" time approaching also. Of course that would be impossible unless you were inside the bank vault and looking at the inside of the safe door. Cool

A very practical, robust, and compact design.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Very interesting Dave... Are you going to incorporate it into the vault you lock your watch collection up in?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If Lindell rents me part of Fort Knox (like the Janitor's closet Roll Eyes), I will not need it, as you know nobody ever looks in the Janitor's closet anyway. Cool

I think otherwise I would have to put it on the outside of the safe so I would remember what time it opened. Of course that sorta defeats the purpose. (Note the hanger which is supposed to hold the Barrel. Not for 1 New York Minute!)

In the meantime, my old "trusty 12" pump "hangs around" where I might need some help.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I almost forgot about "Fang" a full-blooded Rhodesian Ridgheback who will soon be our new canine addition! She's pretty small, only about 140 pounds.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Looks like you're pretty well covered. Big Grin

Seriously, the Howard tandem movement timer is beautiful. Cool

And I had better say something nice about "Fang" for my own good. Roll Eyes "Nice doggie!" Wink

Ruffy the Watch Dog...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002