Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with identity please! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Usually when I can't find a name on a clock, I wonder who made it. On this clock I CAN se the name, but I still don't know who made it. Can anyone help idendify the maker of this clock?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Back of clock.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Zentra was a joint, Swiss/German owned company marketing various timepieces. The name is often found on WWII German military wristwatches, in particular. I would guess your clock was made in the 1930's. If it has no country of origin stamped on the movement I would also suppose it was made in Germany for the German market.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg,
thank your for the information. I didn't know for sure that the first letter was actually a "Z". I have not removed the back yet, so I have not seen markings on the movement.

Thanks for taking time to reply!! It is appreciated.

Tom

posted
I have one of these German military WWII wristwatches with an interesting history. It's a small stainless round watch with a black leather band, the name on the dial is KM Zentra. The KM stands for "Kriegs Marine" (War Navy) and it was issued originally to a U Boat navigation man in 1940, who lived through the war and became my mother's husband in 1995. He told me the Zentra watch was only issued to those with a need for one on the boat. After the war he took it off and put it in a sock drawer along with a chrome plated British military pocket watch, and never wore it again. The pocket watch was traded for some German cheese with a British officer just after the war ended. When he found out I was a collector, he took them out of the sock drawer and gave them to me, 50 years after WWII ended.

Posts: 2 | Location: Granite Bay, California in the USA | Registered: July 04, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Hi Don; could you please give us his name. Smile There is enormous worldwide interest in U-Boat crews, even by families such as mine who lost two sailor members to their torpedoes. The death rate of U-Boat crews was astonishingly high, as it was a most dangerous service to be in. The Brazilian high grade diving magazine Deco-Stop just this month published an article on my great uncle Boatswain Donald (Dan) Tarrel and his ship the SS Baron Dechmont of Ardrossan , Scotland, who was killed when she was torpedoed off the coast of Brazil in 1943. A few short days later the same U-Boat was sunk and lost with all hands. Eek The Baron Dechmont is now a well known ocean scuba dive site. Search "Baron Dechmont " on YouTube and there are videos of the wreck. My cousin Seaman Donald MacAngus was also torpedoed and killed on the Battleship HMS Royal Oak at the start of WW2 in 1939, and My young uncle seaman Alexander MacAngus was at the helm of the minesweeper Fleming H-3 when she was bombed by dive bombers in the thames estuary in 1940 when he was also killed. And yes WW2 did start in 1939 Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
And also please post pictures of the Zentra watch in the military watch section,as many of us would love to see them Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009