Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Suggestions for Servicing my clock . . . "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Hello Everyone:

I recently purchased a wonderful Seth Thomas mantel clock that chimes (I believe it is Westminster chimes) each quarter hour and gongs the hours. The chimes and gong have such a wonderful tone, I can't believe it comes from such a small clock.

This is only my second foray into chiming clocks as I am a wristwatch collector but I have quickly fallen in love with hearing the clock tick, chime and gong throughout the day. My only problem is that it appears to be having main spring problems because when I wind it, it seems to stop on or about the third day (and I understood this to be an eight day clock). I know that the clock needs servicing as the last service done on it was in 1978 (small tag on the inside of the case tells me so). My problem is this - where can I bring it to be serviced? I live just outside New York City in NJ but would travel an hour or more to bring it to someone reputable. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Will
PS - I don't know if I can ask this question on this site. If my question is inappropriate, please excuse me.

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sounds like the mainspring is gummed up and the clock could stand normal servicing.

Your question is entirely appropriate Will, all we need is someone in your area to answer it. (Everyone, come on and don't be shy!) If you would be willing to ship the clock that of course widens it out.

Let's see what comments we get.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Will, we have some good clock people here.Would you ship your clock to Canada if you are stuck and need someone to service it for you?
Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Will,
Your question, as Lindell said, is very welcome. I don't know of any NY clockmakers, maybe someone will respond with that information.

Shipping a clock is a last resort. But I know many on the site, including myself, have done so successfully. If your clock is in a tambour style or similar shelf clock case, with no glass but the bezel, then shipping isn't too bad if well packed.

It sounds like the clock is overdue for oiling and other routine maintenance. You are right about the chimes. They are very pleasing. I recently got a Seth Thomas Sonora chime clock going and am very pleased with the great sound every quarter hour.

I hope you find someone local whom you can trust with the clock. If not.....there are other options.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Will,
Spring wound clocks that will not run full term on a winding usually need a bit more than clean, oil and adjust. The mainsprings have the most power in the fully wound state. This power diminishes as the spring is unwound. More than likely, your clock is worn and will need bushings installed in the plates to make it serviceable again. You should be suspect if you take your clock to someone and that person suggests only cleaning and oiling. Bushing a clock is not an impossible task, and a Sonora Chime is well worth the effort.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman
Berthoud, Colorado

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dick has some good advise. When I mentioned above that it would need "routine maintenance" a good serviceman will include bushing, burnishing pivots, wear on the verge, etc.as part of a routine cleaning an overhaul. Be sure you know what is included in the price.

I believe Dick is right that just a cleaning and oiling will not give satisfactory results.

You did not mention if yours is a Sonora Chime or not. Is there a separate chime movement behind the regular time and strike movement? Does it strike on bells or rods? Seth Thomas also made some very nice chiming clocks. The #24 movement was very popular. Definitely a clock worth the effort of putting back in proper running condition.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Tom and Dick... Big Grin

We recently got into the Sonoras here...

Seth Thomas Sonora Chime. Be sure to follow the links.

All chiming clocks are great, but the Sonoras are in a class of their own.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Everyone:

Thanks so very much for everyone's help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Sadly, my Seth Thomas is not a Sonara but has rods instead of bells. The rods sound great nonetheless and now I can't wait to hear a Sonera - better yet, I can't wait to find one and add it to the two others I have in my house.

I am hesitant to bring my clock to "just anyone" as I know that there is much more to servicing than a simple cleaning and oiling.

Again, many thanks for the advice.

Kindest regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
Will, to have a Sonora would be , well hard to put into words.I hope to have one someday.
At least you have lots of options here and freindly people to help you.
Smile

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Will,

Later Sonoras of the 1920 vintage used tuned rods rather than bells as a cost cutting measure. To my knowledge all Sonoras had three winding arbors, so if you have a third arbor you may have one of the later ones.

Like I said above, all chiming clocks are great!

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Notice the position of the winding arbors though. All Westminster chiming clocks would have three, but only the Sonora has the arbors positioned in that way, one at 3:00, one at 4:00 and one at 8:00. Most other clocks with three arbors have them evenly spaced, one at 6:00 the other two equally spaced on either side.

Do not belittle non-Sonora chime clocks!!!

Andy Big Grin

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
This one isn't a Sonora, but it ain't half bad. Becker, Westminster only, beveled glass in front and sides, silvered dial.
Not a bad piece of furniture underneath it either; it's chestnut or ash, a wash stand.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice clock John. Top notch all the way.

I would echo Andy K's comments. Many of the chiming movements produced a VERY pleasing, deep and resonant chiming sound.

Andy D.,
Thanks for the NJ idea. It seems so obvious, now that you have suggested it. But I never thought of it. Glad someone is thinking. Big Grin

Tom

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
If you do not mind sending it to Dearborn Mich. I can recommend an amazing clock man.He's very busy and you may end up on a waiting list...but it is worth the wait.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
John,

I also live in New Jersey and am new to clock collecting, but I wanted to be prepared. After joining NAWCC, I contacted a local chapter, #25,(website) ww2.cis.temple.edu/nawcc25/.The president of the local contacted me, and recommendeda clock maker in Long Valley, N.J. His number is 908-832-5730. I also found a number for one in an auction catalog. His number is 908-722-2862. This one is in Raritan, N.J.

I have not used either of these repair shops, so I can't verify the quality of their work.

Good luck.
Michael

Posts: 18 | Location: Maplewood, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: February 01, 2005
posted
Will,

I apologize for confusing your name.
Michael

Posts: 18 | Location: Maplewood, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: February 01, 2005
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
Rather than "belittle", I should have said "underestimate" (but I did say it with a grin).

Andy Big Grin

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Big Grin

Tom

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Have worked with Tom Seymour on many a clock restoration and can first hand say that he is truly amazing as Stephen stated. He doesn't give the movement back until it's right. His magic on the engine of the Seth Thomas Brighton posted on the restoration site still amazes those who see the "before pictures". A bent and rusted pile of junk transformed into a very accurate time keeper. Shipping is the issue. I'm lucky that we live only one state apart, and the roadtrip is well worth it on any project.

If Tom can't fix it...than it isn't broken.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim, Ralph and Stephen, your checks are in the mail. Wink Thanks for copying the script exactly.

Tom

posted
I have to add, i sent a clock movement to Tom, that i had problems with and he did a great job and returned it to me.Sorry to say though the movement has not found a home in a kitchen clock case, hope this happens soon.
Tom is also my clock mentor. Smile

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Everyone:

You have all been very helpful.

Tom - I would be happy to send my clock to you. Can you email me the information on how to send it and how long it will be for the clock to come back to me? I would rather deal with someone that knows what they are doing than take the risk of dealing with someone who doesn't. In the long run, I hope to have this clock for many more years so I may as well do things right.

Thanks,

Will
PS - My personal email is WRoseman@aol.com

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Will. Email is on its way. Commissions going to the bugle corps. Big Grin

Tom