Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ohio Tall Case Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
This Spring was in the Philadelphia area to look at a Chipendale style 4 hand tall case that I purchased. Stopping by Pook and Pook auction on the way out noticed that they had a nice Chester County tall case clock and a Ohio clock by Alexander McGrew active in Cinci.Ohio in the 1820's.Unlike the the Chip. clock (mohagany) or the Chester county clock(walnut painted to look look like mohagany),the Mcgrew case is made up of Ohio hardwoods. The main case is Cherry with cherry crotch veener, add a little maple and black walnut. You have quite a different case then the ones back east.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
View of under the hood

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
close up showing the clover leaf and knob of lack walnut

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Base before refinishing

posted
Douglass,
That's a fascinating insight into the use of local woods in cases. Worthy of study! Do you know when the practice of finishing (eg) walnut as mahogany was established and subsequently died out? I ask because I have a piece of furniture (bought in Ohio) that was black walnut finished as mahogany. I have not been able to date the piece, nor establish the period, when high grade local timbers were finished otherwise. It was presumably linked to the appearance of mahogany in the usa and done in the name of fashion.
Sorry if off topic!
peter
uk

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
The mahogany painted surface over cherry,poplar and black walnut to be a common practice up till about 1850.Colorful painted clockcases and furniture was done through the 19th century. The east coast was the fashion leader and mahogany was considered the king of woods.I have seen a number of blanket chest fron Ohio and Penns. done in this manner. Poplar,chery and black walnut were the common wood. When I worked for a antique dealer in New York State in the 70's we were stripping off the painted finishes.People wanted to see the natural wood underneth all that paint.At this point in life will be going to Antique **** for damaging tens thousands of dollars of orginal finishing!! Clock cases I have only seen 2 or 3 done with black walnut painted to look like Mahogany.. The Chester county clock I picked up was the first one I have owned. The restoration of case is occuring now. Lots of problems,in the late 19th century some one painted it shellac. The more I think about there must have been a whole industry at that time out to cover any old antique with shellac. The trick is to get the shellac off and save the painted surface below.....good reason to use a furniture restoration service. Peter please send a picture of your Ohio piece of furniture. Will try to date it for you and see if I can pinpoint where it was made.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting information Doug. Thank you!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002