• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Repair of Adamantine veneer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a ST Adamantine clock in the shop for rebuilding and there is a small area on the front of lifted veneer. It is intact, has a crack in it and an area about .5" X 1" is lifting up. I would like to repair it for the customer but wnat to make sure I don't make a bigger mess by using a glue that will attack the celluloid maybe making it foggy.

Anybody had any luck fixing this problem before? What did you use and how good was the result?

Thanx, Bruce Weeks
bandc3241@ia4u.net

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Welcome Bruce,

I have not tried to repair adamantine, but I will ask around and see what I can find out. Perhaps someone in IHC will come up with the answer first.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanx, Tom. I hope someone has some info soon, the customer wants his clock back by May 1. I appreciate your help!

Bruce

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Bruce,
I searched the web with Google and found the following link with info on repairing Adamantine cases:
Mike's Clock Clinics

Scroll to link number seven "The Repair of the Adamantine Case Finish" by Ben E. Fulbright.
It can not be open directly because it is a special file format; instead right click the link with your mouse and select SAVE FILE AS and save it to your PC. After that open it from WordPad.
Although the notes do not address your specific problem, I can see that the author is very familiar with these cases and looks very eager to help others. His mail is: ben_fulbright@juno.com

Hope it can be of your help.
Regards

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Thanx, Carlos! I have sent an e-mail to Mr. Fulbright asking for his opinion.

Bruce

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
You may find out better info at the site Carlos gave you, but a friend who has worked on these reccommends 2 part epoxy for loose adamantine. Be careful with the clamping. Use a board or some other protective piece when clamping to prevent cracking.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Mr. Fulbright had much the same advice. Unfortunately the loose piece is on an edge right on the top of the front of the case. And its a glued case, not screwed together. I think slow setting epoxy with a formed clamping board will probably work pretty good. I will use a weight to clamp the veneer and the formed board to stabilize the piece keeping it flat. Fortuately the edge is a flat one and not formed like the top.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Bruce

Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
You could try Hide glue. It works extremely well in these situations and is reversible later if needed.

David Fahrenholz

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
posted
Ultimately, I used sloooow set Epoxy, which worked great. I then polished the case with McQuire's #7 and waxed with carnuba wax. Really great shine! Customer was quite happy. Unfortunately, he overwound it to the point that sonething broke in the spring retention. I get it back today to repair, again.

Thanx to everyone for your help.

posted
J.Bruce welcome to 185, there are many great clock people here.I am sure the clock looks really nice , actually if you had a photo it would be nice also.
Too bad about what the customer did.