• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Clock needs help or adjustment "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I bought a Clock simply titled "Bulova Chime" at a garage sale. It uses a Rhythmwatch Co. movement with a mechanical-style pendulum for keeping time and two hammers for striking two tines at the same time. It is powered by a 1.5V "D" battery to run the motor. There is no information on the back of the movement, other than the number 72 stamped in ink on the back of the motor.

It appears to be striking out of sequence and at all all the wrong times...Iwonder if someone got into the back of it! Are any members at all familiar with this type of movement so as to provide me with any information as to how to reset the gears inside? I have looked in the back but am afraid to remove any of the gears as to affect the timing.

If I can supply any other information I will gladly try, I hate to see any clock (even battery powered ones!) go to waste.

Any information, diagrams, or schematics would be appreciated!

Sincerely, Brian Currell in Ontario, Canada

Posts: 3 | Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 02, 2006
Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
Here's a crude suggestion. Make a note of just how far off the strike/chime is. Race the time forward without giving it a chance to complete a sequence. Did the error change?

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thank you Tom - I will give that a try. (I assume you mean to turn the minute hand forward and ignore the chimes?) I will let you know how it goes!

Posts: 3 | Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 02, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If this is a mechanical movement, someone may have turned the hands counter-clockwise which messes up the cams that cause the strike mechanism to work properly. It is probably not broken, but may need to be readjusted by a clock person.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
That was my concern about the mechanics inside - I was afraid to start removing them! Although the clock is battery powered for the chimes, the movement is mechanical.

This site was VERY helpful a few years ago in helping me repair a Hermle movement, at that time the members helped me get the gears back in right order and position. Using the knowledge I gained from that one repair, I was able to decide the Bulova clock was not "out-of-sync" and the problem appeared to be electrical...the chimes started too early and just kept chiming and chiming.

I finally realized last night that a contact (or leaf spring) that supplied power to the 1.5v motor was damaged and contacting too soon. I was able to fix its mount using some cyanocryalate and the clock is working now. I appreciate everyone's help in this matter. Look forward to other posts.