posted
Does anyone out there mess with old alarm clocks,
Gilbert, New Haven, Ect.

Cicero

Posts: 14 | Location: Arden, North Carolina USA | Registered: January 15, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Cicero,
I have a couple of them, but don't specialize in them, and try to avoid working on them. Are they a specialty of yours? Post some pictures!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, I just like everything, to make something
run that doesn't is what I like. Some of the older ones can be made to run. When I learn my
way around a little better I will post pictures.

CDH

Cicero

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Cicero,
I couldn't agree more about the satisfaction in getting a clock to run again.

Here are a couple that I have. I don't have pictures of the others, but I guess I should do that soon.

If you have pictures you want posted, you can email them to me and I can post them for you, however, it is a process that is easier than it first appears and you will get the hang of it in no time. If you have questions, I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
....and some Bens.....

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
For someone who has collected old alarm clocks for many years, I am happy to see some more interest in these. A friend got me into batterywind clocks and alarm clocks 35 years ago. I thank him every time I see hime. Here's images of one you might never see again. As far as I know, it's the only one known. It's a 30 hour Parker. But it has a hinged bezel, and is wound with a key. I admired it at a friend's home for 20 years. Several years ago, I was shocked when he gave it to me for Christmas. Here are some views. I also have another Parker, that as far as I know, is the second one known. I'll post images of it if you want.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Here is the rear view.

posted
Lastly, here's a closeup of the dial.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Steve,
Very nice!! Thanks for posting that. I did not know much about The Parker Clock Co., so I looked it up in Spittler and Bailey. This is the information they give:

PARKER CLOCK CO.,THE; Meridan, Conn. Incorporated in 1893 to succeed the Parker and Whipple Co.by manufacturer Charles Parker (born 1809)who was a large investor. Manufacturing many styles of small clocks, most with alarms, continued in the old factory in the "Crow Hollow" section of Meriden. Patents Nov.16, 1897 and Dec. 29, 1908 "other patents pending." By May 26, 1926 because of competition in the alarm clock business, the work force had been reduced to 20 men and factory was to be closed down that day. It may have resumed as other reports say it was not closed until 1934.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Here is another interesting Parker alarm clock called the Octagon. Notice the interesting dial.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
posted
I have one of those as well. I have another Parker, that is very rare (two known), and will post images if you wish. It's 8 day, porcelain dial, time and strike, in a very ornate case.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Yes! Please post the picture!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Thanks to all, it is good to know there is an
interest in alarm clocks. The pictures are great.
being a beginner I am amazed, The quality is
something else.

Cicero

posted
I'll get the Parker images posted today. Meanwhile, here's one I picked up on Ebay. It's a German tin can style, time, alarm, and simple calendar. I don't know the maker and maybe someone elese can furnish that.

German Calendar Alarm Clock

posted
This is a closer view of the dial. The clock came to me from the Czech Republic, via Ebay. I had given up ever receiving it, as it had been 4 months. But it did arrive.

Better Image Of Dial

posted
Here is a closeup image of the trademarks on the dial. It seems to me this was Hamburg American Clock Company, but I could be wrong.

Closeup of Trademarks.

posted
This clock is not marked Parker. I have been told only one other one exists, and it marked Parker. I don't think I'd call this an alarm clock. It is eight day, time and strike. It was on Ebay twice, and didn't hit reserve. After being high bidder both times, the seller and I came to terms. It cost a fortune.I sent it to my repair man in Chicago. It's been there, and back four times. It still doesn't run as it should, but I have given up hope it will. The last trip the Post Office hammered the box, but luckily it was double boxed.

Front View Of Clock

posted
This is the back side. Originally it had brass nuts that went on the ends of those studs, and those nuts held the movement in the case. When I got it, the nuts were gone, and I never replaced them.

Rear View Of Parker Clock

posted
Here's a side shot. This clock has a lot of cast brass trim on it. It's heavy and must weigh 20 pounds or more.

Sude View Of Parker Clock

posted
Here's an image of the clock, door open. You can see the winding holes, and the porcelain dial.

Dial Of Parker Clock

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Steve,
That last Parker clock with the cast parts is in a different league than the "tin can" alarms.

I have an alarm clock that has piercing around the bezel, but I can't locate it (yet). I don't remember the maker.

Here are a couple more American models, a New Haven, and a Sessions.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

(Edited to clarify and correct spelling.)

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on March 10, 2004 at 8:47.]

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is an eight day alarm.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The Sessions

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Actually, I think I have two of those. They're pretty hard to find. I have had the Sessions too. I know I have the National Call 8-days in black and white dials. Somewhere, I have a Westclock, that you wind by pulling a string, like you'd start a lawnmower.

posted
The Parker clocks must have been mfg by the same Charles Parker of Meriden Conn that produced the Parker shotgun. It is the premiere American double barrel shotgun of its day and remains so to this day.

Any of the field grades go for $1000 to $1500 in well worn condition, middle engraved grades go $3k - $10k and the really nice ones are $200k & up.

He also made bench vices, coffey grinds, bicycles, etc.

Charlie

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I purchased this last week. Although I'm not into "Alarm" clocks or "Hamburg-American"...I just couldn't resist.

Greg Reeves

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice Greg. My wife and I just came back from Atlantique, and there were not many alarm clocks there.

There were a couple of Jaz clocks in the original boxes. The boxes were very deco looking with attractive artwork.

Thanks for posting that one. It's a beauty!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Steve, did you ever find out the maker of your German alarm clock? I have been searching the books for that particular trademark, and have come up with nothing.

Greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
The trademark found on the dial of Steve Cunningham's clock belonged to SCHLENKER & KIENZLE a German clock company founded in 1883.
The winged trademark was first registered on 03.06.1898

Mun C.W.
Singapore

Posts: 15 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: October 13, 2003
posted
Thank you very much for that information! Welcome to our group!

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the New Haven Junior Tattoo! It is a tiny look-a-like of the bigger, standard size alarns.

The dial on this is only 2 inches across.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The back

Tom

posted
Nice alarm clock Tom,i like the old ones.