Tools
Reply to Post

Question About Jaccard & King Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Question About Jaccard & King Clock

We recently received the following eMail request...

"I have a lovely clock I think is brass. It is 18 inches tall and about 8 inches wide. It has 4 columns and on top of each column is a Egyptian style head. The face has Jaccard & King Company of New York and St. Louis. I would love to find out more about my clock. Thank You, Vicky"

So how about it friends, lets see if we can be of help!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
From Spittler and Bailey:

Jaccard, E. Stl Louis, MO, ca. 1829 - 1864. As Jaccard Jewelery, 617 Oliver St. in 1829. As E. Jaccard Jewelery in 1835. Joined in partnership with Mermod as Mermod & Jaccard in 1864.
I cannot yet find a reference for Jaccard and King. This is the closest I could come. Not sure if it is the same Jaccard or not. A picture of the clock could help track down the maker. I would guess it was a private label made my a major manufacturer.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Here is a place to start
http://elginwatches.org/databases/PL_names.html Scroll down to Jaccard entries.
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Tom and Mike,

Looks like we're making some progress.

Below, you'll see two images sent to us by the owner...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

She reports the numbers 458523 and 77

Other markings are listed below this image.

Here is the very interesting movement details...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Here are the other markings enhanced, it reads as follows...

"LENZKIRCH AVG U and 1 Million"

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Lenskirch is a German Clock company that was very active in the American Market in the 3rd quarter 19th century till World War 1. the company was purchased by Junghans in 1928. Known for making very good movements and clocks. The one million number indicates it was made in the early 1900's as does the art nuveo case. The 2 million marking begin around 1905 or 1906. First exhibit in USA was in the 1876 Centennial Exhibition.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks to Doug, Mike, Tom, Lindell and everyone else who read and participated in this topic. Looks like Doug finally narrowed it down. Seems there is always someone to help solve these little mysteries.

It is a beautiful and very interesting clock.

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
That movement looks strikingly like a French product, particularly the small pivots and the removeable bridges for the strike train and center shaft. I hope someone tells the owner that the pendulum should be pulled up and hooked on the pin in the end of the suspension spring. I suspect the pendulum may not be original, a visible bob should be fancier. If it were a French movement the final 7 in the number 77 might indicate the proper length for the pendulum in pouces (spelling).

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Hi All,

The 77 at the bottom of the plate indicates pendulum length in pouce and ligne. This is the distance from the flex point of the suspension spring to slightly above the center of the bob. 77 converts to 8.082". The pictured pendulum looks to be about this length.
Ligne = 2.25583mm
Pouce = 12 lignes = 27.0699mm

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
I had forgotten the exact terms for French pendulum measurement and was too lazy to go see what Jesse Coleman might have said.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002