WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

VERGE FUSEE CLOCK.ISAAC JOHNSON.. YARMOUTH. 1698-1728. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi All, I thought I'd try and compete with the watch guys showing off their verge watches, but I daren't put my clock on the pocket watch thread, I'll try and post pics'

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Pic'2

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Pic'3

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Pic'4

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Pic'5

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Pic'6.

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
It is fantastic Ged,thanks for posting it.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Ged,
As Stephen said, it is a fantastic clock, the workmanship in the finishing of the parts is outstanding, from the hands of artists really..
May I ask what is the size of the clock?

(I dared to retouch your first picture to show details)

Verge Fusee Clock

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Awesome clock Ged, i have a few things to ask about it.On the left side at the keyhole i saw a 27 in the picture, is that telling the day?
Where did you get such a old clock like this in such great condition, if you don,t mind me asking?
And lastly what are the chimes on this clock i saw the bell or gong not sure what to call it, at the top of the movement.
It is hard to believe as old as it is in such graet condition and the detail that was put into this clock, i am sure it will be running for many more years.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Carlos, thanks for nice comments and for improving my poor attempt at pic's. The clock is 20ins high X10 ins wide X 6ins deep. Kevin, the date is shown in aperture opposite winding hole to appear symetrical. The movement strikes the hour on large bell and repeats the quarters on small bell on demand by a pull on cord, ie one stroke for first quarter- 2 for second quarter, followed by the hour each pull. this enables you to tell the time in the dark ,These are sometimes called blind men's clocks. The clock was made locally, Yarmouth is our nearest town 8 miles South of me . The maker is buried in St Nicholas churchyard in Yarmouth. Ged.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great clock Ged! The attention to details on those clocks is much greater than on the ones I collect. It is a fascinating and beautiful movement. Thanks for posting it.

Anyone else have a nice fusee to share?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002